Flavor Infused Sugar (From Whole Foods)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stankonia

Reaction score
I went to whole foods today and noticed some flavor-infused sugar in the coffee section of the store.

They had ginger, dark cocoa, cinnamon, lime, raspberry, vanilla bean, etc. The sugar was larger-ground relative to table sugar, and pretty pungent when I smelled them.

I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight on these? If adding them to the boil would it just ferment out leaving little flavor similar to the way honey does for example. Would it be effective for bottle conditioning?

It would be fun to mess around with it, but I would like some in-sight from those who would know more about it, and what to expect.

As long as there wasn't anything artificial in them they'd be interesting to play with. You're right, the sugar would ferment out while hopefully imparting subtle flavors behind.

I've been playing around with flavoring my priming solution at bottling time for that last bit of mouth hit and aroma when you open the bottle. I've done chilies, citrus peels, and even some spices in the boil and strained out after. I decided to add 1.5 ounces of ginger to my priming sugar boil when I did my ginger snap brown ale.

179344_10150090926959067_620469066_6194442_7703006_n.jpg

168032_10150090952399067_620469066_6194986_531233_n.jpg

As you can see it has a nice straw color as opposed to the clear you are used to. It smelled amazingly like ginger.

169063_10150091001109067_620469066_6195604_5484234_n.jpg

I've also done it with dried chilli peppers for my chocolate mole porter. And done citrus peels with various beers such as using orange peels in my wits.

You could do it with any dry spice, such as cloves, coriander, star anise for a licorice beer, cinnamon and even a vanilla beer. You can do with this is to add some lactose to the boil as well, since it is unfermentable, it should sweeten the flavor somewhat.

I'm planning to try crystallized/candied ginger next time. Evidently it has a sweeter less biting flavor to it.

^ nice, I like that idea. Let us know how it turns out.

I might get some of the sugar to see how well it works. They had chili-pepper flavored sugar too.

Back