Flavor Adding Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSUCatBrewer

Reaction score
Hi all,

Getting ready to bottle my 4th batch; all extract (moving to all grain this summer, but am loving extract brewing).

My LHBS only carries Brewers Best kits and despite some Luke warm reviews on here...I've found them to be very successful.

I am preparing to bottle a Toasted Coconut Cream Ale. The instructions say to add the coconut flavoring to the priming sugar/h2o solution stovetop; here's my question...

I've settled on the following process...

1) Summer priming sugar/h2o
2) Cool
3) Pour solution in bottom of bottling bucket
4) Siphon beer into bucket, letting natural motion do the stirring for me...no manual stirring.

Would you recommend this process knowing the flavoring is in with the sugar? Do you think the flavoring will evenly distribute? It stands to reason it will as I trust this process to evenly distribute the sugar when bottling. Should I follow the instructions, or add the flavoring in a different manner?

Thanks!

In most instances brewing instructions seem to not be the best advice, but here I think you will do fine to do as you suggested and add it with the priming sugar.

Thanks! I went to your website; looks awesome! Next time i'm in San Diego i'll make it a point to stop in! Congrats on your venture!

Your method should be fine. Flavoring extracts dissolve easily and dissipate quickly so it's good to add it as close to the end as possible. I have and know others that have out flavoring right into the bottle before add the beer. Takes some accurate droppers, probably easiest just to add in the priming solution

As others have said, it should be fine. But a gentle stirring with a long sanitized spoon won't hurt either. The risk is oxidation, which will be mitigated if you stir gently and drink the bottles in a few months.

Back