Flat pours after switching to Perlick 650SS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rory DeYoung

Reaction score
Hey Folks, first time posting. I promise I searched around for an answer first.

I have a kegerator that I have been using to serve my home brews. It came with the standard (cheapo) faucet. I've had about a dozen corny kegs through it and I got tired of the first beer always being foamy and having on & off foam problems, along with the valve sticking when it isn't used for a few days or more. I recently purchased a Perlick 650SS to replace it and attached it to the shank / tower. Now for some reason I'm getting very flat beer pours, almost completely uncarbonated. I thought it was a carbonation problem with the keg initially, but after opening the keg and dipping a sterilized tasting glass, I’m finding that the beer is wildly carbonated and somehow losing its CO2 en route to the glass. I put my old faucet back and it seems to pour OK. The beer hose is 10 feet, 15 PSI. I almost never adjusted this from beer to beer. I’ve had trouble finding any reference manual online or forum post with similar problems. Any idea what’s going on here? The 650SS has flow control, and even wide open there's no head. Beers looks and feels flat as can be.

Thanks,

Rory

Not trying to be a wise guy, but if the old faucet pours fine, you've confirmed the beer is carbonated and you aren't changing shank or lines, I find this to be a physical impossibility...... If it was somehow degassing purely in the faucet you would know it since 15psi would fizz pretty good. More likely the C02 is actually staying in the beer because of the better faucet and not foaming as a head. Have you actually tasted the beer or merely observed it to be flat?

Yup, mouth feel is completely flat. It's strange for sure, which is why I haven't figured it out yet.

Back