Flat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer six weeks ago and transferred it into a five gallon keg four weeks ago. I am relatively new to brewing and this batch was my first solo experience. I read and researched each step prior to completing it so after two weeks I transferred my extra pale ale from a glass carboy to a five gallon keg. I was in the process of building a keezer at the time so I primed it with four ounces of corn sugar, boiled.

I allowed it to sit for another four weeks, chilled it (38-30 degrees), then hooked it up to a CO2 regulator set at 12 PSI. I was under the assumption that the corn sugar would be all I would need to carbonate the beer, so I only let it sit for 24 hours from the time I hooked it up to the time I poured the first pint. Overall the beer carried some flavor, but it was completely flat. No carbonation whatsoever. CO2 line is going in and draft line is going out, temperature is good, and everything is flowing, but zero carbonation.

Is there any way to salvage this beer? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If this is a corny keg and was closed up without pressure, the seal may not have been gas-tight while the yeast were chewing up the priming sugar. In which case all the CO2 they produced escaped, and you ended up with essentially flat beer - that has been on external CO2 for one day.

That's the simplest scenario...

Cheers!

Yep, a number of my kegs need a burst of pressure to seal. Make sure you are leak free now then leave it hooked up to gas for another 10-14 days and you should be good to go.

Back