Flat Beer botteling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph524

Reaction score
Hello all
I am wondering what to do with a flat beer that i carbed with table sugar because I was out of priming sugar for botteling. I use the correct amount but beer seems flat after 2 weeks at 68 and then put in the fridge 2 more weeks. Question is the yeast going to still carb this? Or should i put back into a warm place? Or let go for along time? I was also thinking of un capping and droping in the tablet form of priming sugar. Any pointes would be helpful

Why did you put them in the fridge BEFORE they finished Carbing?

There's nothing wrong with using Table sugard for carbing, lots of us do. I use it for carbing historical beers where it was doubtful corn sugar was available.

The reason they're not carbed, is not because you used table sugar, but because it is rare that ANY beer is rcarbed in only two weeks.

Take them out of the fridge, and let them warm back up. Then after a couple days, give them a shake to rouse the yeast, and leave them alone for AT LEAST 3 weeks.

When you put them in the fridge the yeast goes to sleep, warm it up, they wake up and go back to work. You can't carb a beer in the fridge.

So you aborted the process, when you stuck them in the fridge BEFORE carbonation was even completed.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Next time, wait til a beer is carbed before frdigeing them, and next time, don't even test a beer til 3 weeks have gone by...and realize the sometimes it takes longer.

Ok so the beer is in the bottel how can you tell they are carbed without opening? I do leave most beers out but having a party and this is one of the last I brewed

Ok so the beer is in the bottel how can you tell they are carbed without opening? I do leave most beers out but having a party and this is one of the last I brewed

Well, you can put one in the fridge overnight and try it. If it's carbed, they all are. If it's not, then the rest will wait another two weeks and you can try again.

Some brewers will bottle a couple of beers in plastic soda bottles. When the bottles are hard, the batch is carbonated.

Latest posts

Back