Fixing chill haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
I typically keep the finished beer at 38 F for a week before bottling but didn't this time. Now I have chill haze. Will keeping the bottled beer at 38 F for a week help clear the beer?

I know it's beer but, chill haze is protein. Getting rid of it seems liking getting rid of the nutritional part.

I use VERY dark serving glasses.

All the Best,
D. White

A conversation credited to Benjamin Franklin:

Ben - So why do you guys drink beer?

Other guys at the bar - It's good for you, just as good as a wholesome loaf of bread and fresh spring water. Why bread is made from grain and water and so is beer so it's natural that beer would be as good for you as a loaf of bread and a glass of water.

Ben - So why don't you guys just have bread and water?

Other guys - Ah Ben, you just don't get it. Sometimes logic and reason don't tell the whole story.

I've had beers that just didn't seem to want to clear up, but finally did after several weeks cold conditioning. The pH of your mash can affect clarity and chill haze. Also, I have used Clarity Ferm to prevent chill haze. You add it when you pitch your yeast. Chill haze occurs when tannins bind with proteins in beer. Clarity Ferm binds with the tannins that could otherwise bind with proteins and cause chill haze. White Labs Clarity Ferm is available through MoreBeer, and William's Brewing.

Back