Fixing a Bad Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1GR8DA

Reaction score
I made 10 gallons of a white ipa. I used 1050 American ale yeast with a big starter. I think the starter may have been compromised. No 3 hours after pitching you could smell the funk. It was in an active fermentation for two weeks. The beer tastes like it smells. You could probably drink it but it tastes astringent. Not sour, and but an astringent aftertaste. I was thinking about pouring the 10 gallons back into the kettle, adding 3+ pounds of DME and re boiling for about 20-25 minutes. Repitch and and ferment for 5-7 days. Crash and hope it has improved. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with salvaging a beer from this issue? This happened to me a few years ago and I let it sit and condition for a number of months with no change. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

If you boil the beer you'll boil off the alcohol. You'd then have 10 gallons with only three pounds of fermentables in it. Not only that, the astringency won't likely boil off, and it would likely take a lot if new flavor to overpower it. If anything, I would brew a whole new batch and try to blend them, but I've never tried anything like that, I'm just speculating.

Back