Fishing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We should do smallest fish ever caught. Here's mine, he's a beauty!

P6240039_zpsab299343.jpg

When my cousin was younger, he caught a tiny bluegill like that. Being about 12 years old and bored, he tossed the lure with the bluegill still on it back into the water. And he catches a huge Walleye.

A couple nice fallfish and redbreast sunfish caught on the Patuxent River this evening. The big fallfish (first picture) was probably about 10" long and fought like a horse! Definitely my personal best but I hope to catch a bigger one soon. I ended up catching 13 fallfish and 6 redbreast in total.

w96SRZ8.jpg

U8VZr61.jpg

Z12FNUI.jpg

BeN35aD.jpg

Back in 2014, I was trolling from my brother's 29' sailboat on Lake Erie... I think I caught ONE lousy rock bass. We weren't sure if it was in season or not, so we tossed it back. He, on the other hand, kept catching sheepshead. Not good for eating, but MAN they put up a fight. :)

Don't know if Lake Erie Sheepshead are the same as salt water ones but the salt water ones are GREAT for eating.......

I used to fish a lot in the 60's and 70's. You could catch a few to a lot every time you went. Then in the 80's it got really hard to catch anything. For the 90's, 00's and 10-15 I did very little fishing. I hate standing on the bank casting my line in the water all day and only catching seaweed......

Last summer I decided to go for Stripers or Blues. I caught one snapper blue, about 6 or 7 inches and snagged another before the cold weather shut me down. Hope I catch at least one keeper this year.......

Went down to Lake Hodges this morning. There was an algae bloom and the bass weren't biting. Talked to a couple other anglers and it seems nobody caught nothin. Oh well, better a morning on the water than... damn near anything.

Don't know if Lake Erie Sheepshead are the same as salt water ones but the salt water ones are GREAT for eating.......

Rock bass have always been non-seasonal here. Too much commercial over-fishing on Lake Erie! Gotta go out into the shipping lanes for big white bass any more. Too many sheephead, although the smaller, say, 15-20" ones are better eating. My older sis can cook them so well, you wouldn't know what they were if she didn't tell you! Wife & I wanna get out, catch a bunch of sheephead of varying sizes & try a couple cooking ideas we have to make them easy to cook & palatable.

I've been out probably 7 -8 times this season (mostly in short 1 hour stints), and have been skunked every time. But it's still too early really. But today I'm going to try a place that was actually stocked.

Caught this guy today..

packaged-halibut.jpg

...then just about when I was about to call it a day I got lucky!

swedish-fish-candy-red-1.gif

...so I stuck around to see if I could get lucky again.... Had to throw it back.

35645e2572c4a0cbbb249d42752fcbb8f53f1bf7.jpg

First day of trout season for me today. Didn't get a bite BUT I did make some new friends.

They may be huge but the suckers snuck up on me. I didn't even know they were there until I heard something breathing and found about 20 of these staring at me.

Let the fish grow! I am sure that is steak you are looking at I know what I would rather eat. OK I am talking sh t. :mug:

First day fishing as the weather is getting nice, 3 pikes, 2 edible ones at 1 kg and 3 kg, third one released as it was too small.

Here's some fun footage about the lake I fish in, helped one of the divers out, driving the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
got my 7th tag out of arrowrock in idaho on sat.

WP_20160226_17_20_12_Pro.jpg

The walleye run is going well here in Michigan. Jigging is the preferred method.

Well, not ALL of Michigan. The season opens May 15 in much of the state! (People forget that the UP is in Michigan too, and a pretty big land mass).

But, the panfish is finally starting. Bass and walleye haven't opened yet, and the trout is a bit slow for most people due to the very cold water and weather.

We got a few bluegills yesterday:
IMG_5158.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg

IMG_5182.jpg

IMG_5199.jpg

My first fish was a bass, but the season isn't open yet so he was released.
IMG_5157.jpg

Well, not ALL of Michigan. The season opens May 15 in much of the state! (People forget that the UP is in Michigan too, and a pretty big land mass).

Heck. I don't hardly bother fishing anywhere in MI except for the Yoop.

Can't beat Crappie season this time of year up there. Some of the most fun I've had catching fish - especially on light gear. Delicious as well.

I apologize Yooper. I should have been more specific about my geographical location; the Detroit River. Don't get me wrong as I love the UP but "much of the state" has earlier openings for walleye than the meager 29% of Michigan's land mass commonly referred to as "Da UP". :)

You hit the nail on the head stating "a pretty big land mass". Most wouldn't believe us if we told them that the land area of the UP is bigger than MD, MA, NJ, or CT; separately speaking. Many don't realize that Michigan is the largest state east of the Mississippi.

Nice panfish and bass!

BTW, I brewed your oatmeal stout recipe a month ago and have to commend you as it is the best tasting stout I've brewed. Outstanding! Thank you! :mug:

And this is what we caught last week on the Detroit River; four fisherman, four limits.

Back