Fishies to Fermenting; aquarium chiller fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the cool zone jacket on two ported big mouth bubblers and a glass carboy. Everything can be kept at seperate temperatures. Works terrific. Similar results except my garage is 85 degrees and my chiller still only runs about 2-3 hours total a day once the fermentation temp is reached. This weekend took 5 gallons of wort from 82 degrees to 65 in less than an hour.

I'm looking to do something very similar -- I also have a CoolZone jacket, although I'm thinking of upgrading to a SS conical of some sort, preferably one where I can continue using the CoolZone jacket.

Question for the OP and other thread folks -- which is likely to work best -- modifying a window air conditioner unit to cool a reservoir full of glycol, or using an aquarium chiller to cool a reservoir full of glycol?

Is one capable of chilling the reservoir better than the other? The aquarium chiller seems more plug-and-play, but window AC units can be obtained for much less money than aquarium chillers. Anyone weigh the pros & cons?

One more questions for the OP: What are the pros/cons to fermenting in a kettle vs. a conical? Do you prefer one over the other? Thanks!

I have a 50 gal plástic conical fermenter, in your experience, do you think works in my fermenter.

Depends on which part you're asking about? The insulation should work just fine. The aquarium chiller probably isn't big enough.

Latest posts

Back