First Yeast Wash- How'd I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
Decided to try to wash yeast this morn for the first time. Yeast is WLP090..Got my Pale Ale down to 1.008 in 14 days.

Anyway:

I boiled/sanitized jars and flask. I wound up using filtered water, as I could not get the boiled water to cool in time (didn't plan that far ahead)...

So- How's it look?

2013-04-21_11-28-53_317.jpg

2013-04-21_11-50-36_529.jpg

Steps:

-I racked beer and bottled

-After bottling, I swirled carboy, and dumped into flask. I added filtered water to flask, swirled and let sit 20 minutes or so.

-I poured liquid into 4 sanitized mason jars, and put in fridge.

Did you boil the water? Evidently you need to de oxygenate the water to put the yeast to sleep.

I bet you'll be fine. One thing you can still do is to boil and cool water (to the same temp as the yeast), decant the current water off the yeast and add new sterilized water. That would help if you plan on storing some long-term (months).

If you have enough spare jars, you can boil water way ahead of time, seal in sanitized canning jars and keep it handy just in case.

I bet you'll be fine. One thing you can still do is to boil and cool water (to the same temp as the yeast), decant the current water off the yeast and add new sterilized water. That would help if you plan on storing some long-term (months).

If you have enough spare jars, you can boil water way ahead of time, seal in sanitized canning jars and keep it handy just in case.

Thanks! Will do this later...

Back