First year Cascades have a yellow glow to them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincybrewer

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered a million times. I tried to search with no luck. I'm not necessarily worried but figured if they are lacking nutrients I can get a head start in fixing any possible issue. I'm not exactly a green thumb. Anyway, I have these Cascades in a raised garden bed and they came up quickly but they are looking very yellow and I have no clue whether this is normal or if it's because of the ph and or nutrient levels. Take a look:

edit: sorry, no idea why the photo isn't working. Hopefully I'll fix it soon. In the meantime, here are some links:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tfeJ3jPkWSTM14Y4XWEEDNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/V1e49rSDzd-ihsdQUgR5_9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

There are several posts about similar looking hops bines on this page alone. The general consensus is its a nutrient deficiency. Most likely magnesium. You should fertilize using compost or some other fertilizer with micronutrients included not just a 14-14-14. Compost works well.

Give it a week or two and the hops should return to normal color.

Magnesium deficiencies typically show by chlorosis on older leaves first. 4 ounces of Epsom salts I a gallon of water will treat it.

There are several posts about similar looking hops bines on this page alone. The general consensus is its a nutrient deficiency. Most likely magnesium. You should fertilize using compost or some other fertilizer with micronutrients included not just a 14-14-14. Compost works well.

Give it a week or two and the hops should return to normal color.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

And for the record the only thread I saw about yellow leaves didn't look anything like the yellow of my hops so I figured it was something different.

Its not a problem, just seems to be common right about now. Judging by your photos make sure they get some nitrogen as well as Mg. Not sure how fast they are growing but that will help. Keep in mind, the more irrigation they receive the faster you will deplete N. Natural rain replenishes it.

My centennial looked like that. The general consensus from friends of mine who have grown hops for years is a mineral deficiency. Magnesium was one thing they suggested, as well as iron which was something I never would have thought of. So I've hit them up with the plant equivalent of a multivitamin the other day and hopefully they'll look a lot less highlighted soon!

Iron chlorosis is actually the more common deficiency in landscape plants. Hops tend to be susceptible to Mg and even Ca as well.

Iron chlorosis is actually the more common deficiency in landscape plants. Hops tend to be susceptible to Mg and even Ca as well.

Good to know! Not much of a green thumb so I rely on the wisdom of those who are much more experienced in this than I!

Back