First year harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChargersSB

Reaction score
!

How did you get so much your first year? I only grew two cascades, but I barely got anything compared to you. I didn't trim anything, but I did give them perfect watering and nutrients. I thought it would be a good idea to forego pruning and let them focus on growing a good root system, but when I saw how small my harvest was going to be I really regretted it. I didn't really understand that cones don't really grow below 5 feet of height.

From what I've read, you want to let them continue to grow a little while longer, and then cut them down. Then put some compost and mulch on top. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm curious myself. We probably have more of a winter over here than you do, though.

Well, I don't know if they are technically considered first year hops. My co-worker gave me a few of his roots that has some very small shoots coming off them already. They weren't rhizomes (or whatever those are you can buy online I think...). I also didn't do any trimming, just let everything go, as I heard the same thing you did that it helps establish roots. Yeah I didn't realize they only grow cones on the top portion of the vine either. I gave them plenty of water and used this probiotic fertilizer. Good to know about letting them grow a bit more after harvest. I only cut off the top portion where the hops were, but the rest is still up on my trellis. I'll let them go a bit more and then do as you suggested and put mulch on top.

i also got a small harvest from my 1st year cascades. 3 out of 4 rhizomes sprouted and i got about enough cones to fill a 12 oz cup. The leaves on the shoots seem to be dying back now

Here are the 1st year centennials before picking.

IMG_3667.JPG
[/IMG]

This is the row of 1st year hops i planted this year.

IMG_3669.JPG
[/IMG]

Just picked 20 oz Centennial from 2 1st years. Last week picked 30 oz from 3 cascades 1st years plants.

IMG_3677a2.jpg

Here are the 1st year centennials before picking.

IMG_3667.JPG
[/IMG]

This is the row of 1st year hops i planted this year.

IMG_3669.JPG
[/IMG]

Just picked 20 oz Centennial from 2 1st years. Last week picked 30 oz from 3 cascades 1st years plants.

IMG_3677a2.jpg

Wow, nice. Good haul. Now what to do with all those hops...

They are drying now and then I will vacuum pack them in 2 oz bags. Most of the beers I do have roughly 2 oz of 1 variety.
I did BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde Ale and threw some of the previous harvest in to dry hop. Waiting for the bottles to carb.

They are drying now and then I will vacuum pack them in 2 oz bags. Most of the beers I do have roughly 2 oz of 1 variety.
I did BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde Ale and threw some of the previous harvest in to dry hop. Waiting for the bottles to carb.

How long do you have to dry them for?

fwiw, I have Centennial, Chinook and Cascade hops that are getting very close to harvest, and I've been picking one of the ripest looking/feeling cones from each and just setting them on the top edge of my LCD computer monitors to dry. It just takes a day for them to get to what feels like a prototypical whole hop state - nicely dry but not "crumble-to-bits".

Won't work for an actual harvest (I have a triple-head system using 21" displays, but that's still only gonna dry a few dozen cones at a crack ;) ) but it lets me assess the lupilin content - and they look so cute :D

In short, modest dry heat seems to work pretty effectively...

Cheers!

What's your secret?

Chicken Sh&t....

here is a picture of how I contructed the soil:
Topsoil
Peat Moss
Chicken Sh&t
Grass Clippings

IMG_11091.JPG

this picture taken 6/4/2011 you can see the hops were only 2 inch. if you would like to see the worddoc of the project send request to brian2can at comcast dot net

Back