First wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjoystick

Reaction score
Trying to do an hefeweisse or something at least similar for an wheat loving friend.

I don't have any pilsner malt, but I have

Pale Ale 2 row
Munich
Halcyon

What would you suggest as a base malt and in what proportion?

Also was thinkin saaz as a bittering hop.

I have an electric kettle so I can do a step mash. I was thinking rest at 110 °F (43 °C) for 20 minutes and then raising to a temperature of 152 °F (67 °C) until conversion is complete.

Wheat is unfamiliar for me so any help is much appreciated! :mug:

If you are going to real true-to-style anything, ignore me.

50% Wheat
40% Pale
10% Munich
Some rice hulls would not hurt

I would skip the step unless you really want it since it is a Hefe, no clarity needed...just shoot for 152 f and mash until full conversion.

I love Saaz so go nuts. It is hard to had too much Saaz.

I use 2 row and white wheat malt as my base for my wheats. usually around 5 pounds of each but you can adjust as you like to reach your desired OG. Most of the american wheat malts are modified so you don't need to do a protein rest, so you can skip that if you want. just make sure you use a half pound of rice hulls so your sparge doesn't get stuck. other than that just throw in maybe a pound of flaked wheat and 10% munich and your good to go. Saaz is an excellent bittering hop for hefs. I use it all the time.

Great advice, thank you!
One more follow up about the rice hulls. I am doing this with brew-in-a-bag so are rice hulls necessary?

I would generally agree with the above advice. I can barely tell the difference between most wheats using 2-row vs. pilsner given the relatively low base grain percentage.

One other tip, expect that you might get a slightly lower efficiency than your average brew without heavy wheat additions. I've found the flour really likes to hold onto the wort. It might be less of a problem with BIAB, I'm not sure, but I take a 10% efficiency hit on my wheats. Obviously on your system it will be different, but don't fret if you don't hit your OG...just make a note for next time and adjust as necessary.

Good luck and enjoy the wheat!

I would generally agree with the above advice. I can barely tell the difference between most wheats using 2-row vs. pilsner given the relatively low base grain percentage.

One other tip, expect that you might get a slightly lower efficiency than your average brew without heavy wheat additions. I've found the flour really likes to hold onto the wort. It might be less of a problem with BIAB, I'm not sure, but I take a 10% efficiency hit on my wheats. Obviously on your system it will be different, but don't fret if you don't hit your OG...just make a note for next time and adjust as necessary.

Good luck and enjoy the wheat!

I took a small ding in efficiency on my last wheat beer as well. 50/50 ratio. I did forget the rice hulls however:drunk:, and someone didnt get a stuck sparge. I usually hit my numbers on my wheats, so I want to say the lack of hulls may have played a factor in reduced efficiency. We will find out in a few weeks when I brew my weissbier

Back