First Unagi Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redweasel

Reaction score
I've made sushi many times before but have never worked with eel. I've got fresh live eel from the market thankfully cleaned, skinned, and chopped by the fismonger at the store. Just in case I also purchased canned roasted eel from the same store. I'm not sure how this is going to turn out but I'm going to make a sauce for the Unagi by combining soy, sugar, and eel "juice" and reducing it to a syrup.

Any thoughts?

I'm also looking for a new rice recipe as I'm bored with mine.

I'm not sure how this is going to turn out but I'm going to make a sauce for the Unagi by combining soy, sugar, and eel "juice" and reducing it to a syrup.

My girl is from Japan, and she said "Nobody makes their own unagi sauce, go to the Japanese market and buy the right kind!" A lot of help she is...

I think you're on the right track though. I've got a bottle of the commercial stuff here, and it's sweet, slightly fishy and on the thin side.

Let's see, ingredients include: soy sauce, corn syrup, high-fructose syrup, fish extract (eel, pike conger, croaker, lizardfish :eek:, sugar cane, soybean, wheat flour,) mirin, MSG and a bunch of preservatives.

I'd go easy on the lizardfish, but that's just me. :D

Rice is done. Just waiting on it to cool. I comepletely fd up the fresh eel, I'll use some but the canned tastes acceptable.

The sauce is very good if a little thick. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Sounds interesting.

Lizard fish says back off.
lizardfish...jpg

Turned out very nice. I had to do rolls since I did not know how to cut the eel correctly. Ended up using both fresh and canned (which by the way is not bad at all) eel, green peppers, avacado, and cucumber.

For the sauce I used 3/4 cup soy, 1/4 cup sugar, the dripping from the roasted eel (could not find lizardfish), and a tablespoon of rice wine vinagar. Reduced that down to a syrup.

I was not paying attention and reduced the sauce down too far but the flavor was incredible. Next time I wont let it cook down so far and it should be perfect.

Not a traditional eel sauce for sure but It has a wonderfull flavor. I used a nice aged bottle of Kimlan soy that had a robust flavor to begin with.

Pictures do not do justice.

Roasted Eel.
DCFC0229.jpg

DCFC0230.jpg

Made three plates this size.

DCFC0234.jpg

They say a Sushi chef's skill can be gaged by his preparation of either Unagi or Tamago, one of the reasons being you have to be quick to get it rolled and served while it is still warm. I always prep these two last.

I have only ever purchased the Unagi already done, but it seems to me you are on the right track. I'd take the raw Eel, baste it with the sauce and then skin side up under the broiler until it just cooks through. That would be keen. As for sauces, my personal philosophy is just stick with what you like and keep it. There is a memory association with consistency.

Back