First Try with Hop Stand and Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctormiah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This recipe below is my newest version of a pale ale that I have been trying to tweak for a house ale. It is getting cold crashed today then will be kegged on Black Friday. I've been reading up on opinions regarding dry hop length, hop stand techniques, and how to really get good hop flavor aroma without necessarily the hop bitterness to have a more sessionable hop-forward ale. I am looking for any opinions or suggestions on this recipe, and then when this is carbed up I will post tasting notes and a picture.

Methods: Partial Mash no sparge BIAB 5 gallon, infusion mash at 148F X60 minutes then mash out at 168F X10 minutes. Immersion wort chiller. Dry Hop with Muslin Bag (Speidel 30L Fermenter)

Stats:
BJCP: APA
OG 1.051 (est efficiency 65%)
FG 1.010
ABV 5.4%
IBU 32.6
SRM 6

Recipe:
6.5# US 2-Row
1# C10 (9.8%)
0.5# Victory (4.9%)
2.25# Extra Light Dry Extract

0.25oz Simcoe @60 (11.7IBU)
0.25oz Simcoe @20 (7.1IBU)
0.5oz Simcoe @10 (8.5IBU)
1oz Cascade @5 (5.4IBU)

Cooled to 165F, then hop stand X20 minutes with lid on
1oz Cascade
1oz Simcoe

1.5 packages of rehydrated US-05 pitched at 64F
0.5 tsp yeast nutrient

Primary fermentation for 7 days, allowed to gradually raise to 68F
2 oz Homegrown Centennial dry hop X 3 days

Cold crash (with dry hops in it for 2-3 days) then keg and carbonate for 2.5 volumes.

Taste before dry hop was nice and clean flavor with distinct flavors from both hop varieties, without overt bitterness. Color is light gold.

Thanks in advance!

Looks good!

I normally dryhop about 3-5 days, and then chill. I am not clear on if that's what you've done, or not, but if you chill with the dryhops it takes longer to extract the flavor and aroma from them.

Latest posts

Back