First Try at Yeast Stepping. Numbers make sense?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsengineer

Reaction score
I plan to try stepping up my yeast starters in order to ferment a 12.0G batch of 1.069 ale.

With 1x100B vile I planned a 2.0L starter on a stir plate, followed by cooling, decanting, and pitching the yeast into another 2.0L starter on a stir plate.

By calculations on www.yeastcalc.com this would yield me ~582billion cells.

Anything wrong with this thinking?

What is the production date on your yeast? Your numbers are right, but that's assuming your yeast was manufactured today and has 100B healthy cells. Your yeast is probably a month old which would require a 2L starter then a 2.5L starter for 597B cells.

What is the production date on your yeast? Your numbers are right, but that's assuming your yeast was manufactured today and has 100B healthy cells. Your yeast is probably a month old which would require a 2L starter then a 2.5L starter for 597B cells.

Great point. I was calculating yeast manufactored today.

I'm grabbing the yeast on my way home tonight. So assuming it's 1 month old and I do not have a larger than 2.0L liter I'm a little lost on what I should do.

Do a third step with a 1.0L starter? That would bring me up around 572B. So it would be 2.0, 2.0, 1.0.

See if your LHBS sells a 1 gal jug. I bought a couple just for starters.

If they don't, I would just make a 2L and 2L and be done. Under pitching by 34B cells won't have any negative consequences on the beer.

It's a starter that you want well oxygenated, so the usual reservations about oxygen permeability of plastic jugs does not apply. If you can't readily nab a glass jug, grab a plastic one. In a pinch I used one of the plastic jugs that I get RO water in. There is a ridge diagonally across the bottom, so I had to use a 1" stir bar set to the side of that ridge. Not elegant, but effective and cheap -- the jugs are net 30 cents.

See if your LHBS sells a 1 gal jug. I bought a couple just for starters.

If they don't, I would just make a 2L and 2L and be done. Under pitching by 34B cells won't have any negative consequences on the beer.

First 2L starter went great. Then I used a 1Gal jug for a second starter and it was a disaster. Yeast cake on the counter, stir plate, yeast "canals" all down the side of the jug. Obviously needed a larger jug or multiple smaller starters to compensate for the heightened fermentation.

I stopped the stir plate a bit early as to slow down the process. So now I have NO IDEA how many cells I could possible have at this point. I know a lot made there way to my counter...

I was thinking I could make a 1L starter and let them pollute themselves, would that give me a baseline?

Latest posts

Back