First try at a High ABV Stout Extract Recipe...Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toestothesun

Reaction score
Hello All. First, I'd like to see what the board thinks of the recipe I found (does it sound appropriate for a stout?). Second, I read that I may have to pitch yeast at different intervals. For the recipe below, it read 3 packs of wyeast 1388. So, after pitching the initial 3 packs, when would I have to pitch again? I was thinking of letting it sit in the primary for a few months, is that long enough? Do I have to pitch yeast multiple times?

Also, at what temperature should I sparge the grains below for this recipe? Below 170?

Newb questions I know...Thanks in advance :)

1.124 OG
1.031 FG
12.4% ABV

12 Lbs DME
3 Lbs Roasted Barley
3 Lbs Black Patent Malt
2 Lbs Chocolate Malt

Willamette 60 (2oz)
Falconer's Flight 30 (1.5oz)
Warrior 0 (1oz)

2 Lbs Brown Sugar 20 min
1 tsp Irish Moss 20 min

3 packs of Wyeast 1388 - Belgian Strong

um, where did you find this recipe?
Not sure where to start. For one DME = dry malt extract, so the liquid comment makes no sense. 8 lbs of roasted malt in a 5 gallon batch is crazy and would be I think undrinkable. Just for kicks I put it into a beersmith - color on that is 146 SRM.
Also looks like you've got your bittering and aroma hops mixed up.

Hate to say it but my best advice is to get another source for your recipes.

um, where did you find this recipe?
Not sure where to start. For one DME = dry malt extract, so the liquid comment makes no sense. 8 lbs of roasted malt in a 5 gallon batch is crazy and would be I think undrinkable. Just for kicks I put it into a beersmith - color on that is 146 SRM.
Also looks like you've got your bittering and aroma hops mixed up.

Hate to say it but my best advice is to get another source for your recipes.

Appreciate the feedback. So if I switch the order of the hops and cut back on the malts, what would be your take then?

That recipe is for a larger batch than 5 gal.. So try this

8lbs DME
1lb Black Patent
1lb Roasted Barley
1/2lb Chocolate

1.5oz Falconer's Flight 60m
2oz Williamette for 20m
1oz Warrior dry hop

1lb Brown sugar
1tsp Irish moss

just a couple of yeast packets should do. This should give you a OG around 1.090. The problem a OG at 1.124 is you get the alcohol but yeast can only handle so much alcohol before dying off. So you end up with a sweat but potent beer.

Also, just to be sure, you are wanting a Belgian style yeast in this? I've not brewed a Belgian "stout" before but I've had commercial examples. I'm pretty sure a lot of them go light on the roasted barley/black patent and use some debittered malts and/or special B.

Thanks Bob, Matt, and Chicky. For a new brewer all of your insight and help is greatly appreciated.

Also, just to be sure, you are wanting a Belgian style yeast in this? I've not brewed a Belgian "stout" before but I've had commercial examples. I'm pretty sure a lot of them go light on the roasted barley/black patent and use some debittered malts and/or special B.

I'm certainly not committed to the above yeast! That said, what would you recommend for this stout for yeast?

That recipe is for a larger batch than 5 gal.. So try this

8lbs DME
1lb Black Patent
1lb Roasted Barley
1/2lb Chocolate

1.5oz Falconer's Flight 60m
2oz Williamette for 20m
1oz Warrior dry hop

1lb Brown sugar
1tsp Irish moss

just a couple of yeast packets should do. This should give you a OG around 1.090. The problem a OG at 1.124 is you get the alcohol but yeast can only handle so much alcohol before dying off. So you end up with a sweat but potent beer.

If I use this recipe will 2 packs of Wyeast 1007 due the job? After entering the recipe into a calculator it's expecting around 9% ABV. Will 2 packs of 1007 do well?

Thanks

If I use this recipe will 2 packs of Wyeast 1007 due the job? After entering the recipe into a calculator it's expecting around 9% ABV. Will 2 packs of 1007 do well?

Thanks

I would do a 2L starter so there is enough yeasties to ferment all that sugar before they start ding off from the alcohol.

I would do a 2L starter so there is enough yeasties to ferment all that sugar before they start ding off from the alcohol.

Thanks Bob. I normally brew about 5.5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy. So the 2 liter starter should all go in there too? How much dme should I use for a 2 liter starter?

Back