First Try Alt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellecitybrewer

Reaction score
I am trying to come up with an altbier for a local German homebrew competition. I figured i'd post it here for a little feedback.

6# German Pilsner
3# Dark Munich
0.5 # Crystal 120
0.1# Chocolate (for color)

Mash at 149 For 60 mins

2 oz Hallertauer at 60 mins left
1 oz Hallertauer at 5 mins left

Ferment with Wyeast 1007 German Ale

Any thoughts??

I am trying to come up with an altbier for a local German homebrew competition. I figured i'd post it here for a little feedback.

6# German Pilsner
3# Dark Munich
0.5 # Crystal 120
0.1# Chocolate (for color)

Mash at 149 For 60 mins

2 oz Hallertauer at 60 mins left
1 oz Hallertauer at 5 mins left

Ferment with Wyeast 1007 German Ale

Any thoughts??

Reverse the quantities of Munich and Pilsner malt. Eliminate the dark crystal and if you want a darker/deeper color use Carafa II instead of chocolate malt. Check your IBUs to see that there are enough hops. For an OG in the mid 50s I would shoot for an IBU in the high 30s.

Reverse the quantities of Munich and Pilsner malt. Eliminate the dark crystal and if you want a darker/deeper color use Carafa II instead of chocolate malt. Check your IBUs to see that there are enough hops. For an OG in the mid 50s I would shoot for an IBU in the high 30s.

I did a version of Kaiser's Alt:

8 lbs 9.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 88.90 %
15.5 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 10.07 %
1.6 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 1.03 %
3.00 oz Spalter [2.60 %] (60 min) Hops 27 IBU

1 Pkgs German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) Yeast-Ale

Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Final Gravity: 1.012 SG

2 step infusion with decoction mash-out: protein rest : 54 *C (131 *F) for 20 min saccrification rest : 65.5 *C (150 *F) for 45 min mash-out : 76 *C (169 *F)

Fermented at 65 for a week, then racked and kept at 60 degrees for two weeks.

It was wonderful!

I'd suggest not using the pilsner malt, or at least lowering it. I'd use carafa II instead of the chocolate malt.

yeah, i was flying by the seat of my pants at northern brewer this afternoon. I kind of wished i had thought it out a little more, but we'll see. Ill brew this one, and then use some of your suggestion on another batch and compare em side by side. The suggestions sound spot on though!

Back