first tinkering with brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bblack7489

Reaction score
A local brewery had a batch of black ale that they didn't get good efficiency on, so they decided to pitch it with brett. They couldn't sell it under their normal label, so they decided to put it on tap in the tasting room and give the rest away to local brewers. Basically, you showed up with a carboy or a corney, and the brewer would fill it up. I got 10 gallons, 5 of which went on tap yesterday to force carb and the other 5 have been sitting in the closet in a carboy for the past week.

I was tinkering around in the brew closet today and realized that there was some funk on the surface of the beer. Is that expected with brett?

Like I said, it's my first time to do anything with brett, even if I didn't directly do it. I'm just not sure what I should be expecting.

Yah, that's what I thought. This is definitely the beginnings of a pelicle formation. It went through primary and a month of aging before I got it.

I think I'll go back to the brewer tomorrow and see specifically what he put in it to make it funky.

Thundercougarfalconbird said:
I'm fairly certain it will krausen normally, but a pelicle is related to bacteria not yeast.

Not really. I pitched Wyeast Brettanomyces Lambicus only in a Belgian Dark Strong and it had a pretty wicked looking pellicle. So, back to the OP, yes it is normal for Brett.

Back