First timing kegging.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisey10

Reaction score
First let me start by saying this community has been invaluable as to continue working on brewing.

I have recently been gifted a kegerator from my father in law and am looking for advice as to how i begin kegging my own brew. what type of equipment will i need, where to get a keg and how to begin learning to get the pressure right. Any advice you would be able to provide would be awesome

Cheers

I also had a kegerator (used from Craigslist) bought for me recently, from my father. It was a great gift, but I was a bit shocked how much it cost to outfit it. I spent around $450 for a two-tap setup, but that includes replacing the faucets and everything. So here's the basics:

- Keg (ball lock is more common, but pin lock is also fine; just be consistent in all your connections)
- O-ring replacement set (if you get a used keg)
- Keg lube (for use on o-rings)
- Quick disconnect for keg-to-beer (one per keg)
- Quick disconnect for keg-to-gas (one per keg)
- Beer line for keg-to-tower (one per keg. Research line length vs diameter for foam control.)
- Gas line (one per keg; length not too important)
- Regulator (type and additional splitters depends on how many kegs you have)
- CO2 tank (5lb is most common)
- Optional: additional beer line and picnic tap if serving away from kegerator, or if you don't have a tower

Depending on the condition of your kegerator, you may also consider replacing:
- Tap/faucet (forward sealing is better than cheaper rear sealing)
- Faucet shank
- Connector for shank to beer line

I recommend researching Duotight fittings and EVAbarrier lines. They go together. Although a higher up-front cost, they are higher quality and easier to use.

And then of course you have all the optional goodies: equipment to clean your lines, brushes, faucet covers, tower fan, etc.

Other people can chime in if I missed anything.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back