First timer - Weizenbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snacks

Reaction score
Hello all, been lurking around on the boards for awhile and received a kit for the holidays. Another hobby for the wife to dislike lol.

Anyways, I brewed the BB weizenbier and so far so good I guess. I forgot to take an OG reading before I pitched and I'm in constant fear that I goofed some how. Was your first time this nerve racking or am I just being paranoid?

Its been 6 whole days since the night of the brew.....things I've learned since researching on here...
1, don't trust the airlock - give it time
2, secondary isn't necessary ( I think I'll give it 14 days in the primary instead then bottle )

One question I do have would be for the people who have brewed this beer is how was the smell DURING fermentation? I push down on the primary top just to get a little burp in the airlock and smell it, it smells like beer but not very strong (unlike opening a hefe or other weizen I've had)
Is this just my paranoia and will it smell better if I were to open the primary?

thanks, loving the anticipation just need to learn patience lol.

Hey buddy, welcome. I get paranoid and stress about everything I do, it can be normal. Just relax though you're good. I didn't take readings on my first couple batches because I had no idea what in the world I was doing. They still ended up to be decent brews. You'll be good.

You're correct in both of your statements. My only suggestion as far as things are concerned... You can still take a FG reading. Though you do not know your OG, if you measure FG and it remains constant for a couple days in a row... You can be much more sure that it has finished up and you can proceed to the bottling phase etc.

I am sure someone else will be along to assure you that it is alright, and someone will show up and say "RDWHAHB". As far as the smell goes, eh... I've never had any smell crazy. I imagine if it doesn't smell bad, it is fine. I'm excited for ya buddy, surely nothing to worry about. Give it time.

Thanks for the reassuring! I plan on taking a FG reading tomorrow to see if its close to the recommended FG, then let it sit an extra week to be safe.

Had to buy some beer last night to "hold me over" while waiting. Schlafly Hefeweizen........pretty tasty from a local brewery. Drank it thinking I can't wait to drink my own!

Nice man! You have it fermenting at a temperature that your yeast likes? I'm going to make a hefe tomorrow afternoon god-willing, to have for Superbowl when all my out of town friends come up. The only thing I can do to keep my mind off of what is going on in the carboy is to start cooking something else up.

quit sniffing the beer... resist the urge.

just leave it the heck alone and enjoy that constant "burp" sound if you are using a blow-off tube.

don't freaking touch it for at least a week (preferably 2).

what benefit is there to taking a reading tomorrow?

the dumbest thing we do, especially as newbies, is mess with the beer, and screw it up by dropping something in, or by contaminating something, etc.

relax, have a beer, don't mess with it.

this is the hard part... and (fwiw) it won't get easier when you've been brewing for 3 years.

:)

btw... welcome

quit sniffing the beer... resist the urge.

just leave it the heck alone and enjoy that constant "burp" sound if you are using a blow-off tube.

don't freaking touch it for at least a week (preferably 2).

what benefit is there to taking a reading tomorrow?

the dumbest thing we do, especially as newbies, is mess with the beer, and screw it up by dropping something in, or by contaminating something, etc.

relax, have a beer, don't mess with it.

this is the hard part... and (fwiw) it won't get easier when you've been brewing for 3 years.

:)

btw... welcome

I guess there isn't a benefit, I just was curious to what the FG is at. I'll leave it be then.........thanks for the info.

I hope he doesn't think I meant take a FG reading tomorrow. Let it ride. When you think it is done, then you can take a reading if you like. Not having the OG just makes it hard to calculate ABV. You got it. If you have any other questions, ask away man... and by all means, do not be afraid to post a picture of your first pour when it is done.

Don't sweat the OG. You can assume you were pretty close to what the kit said to expect. It's been a week so if you want to put your mind at ease, go ahead and get a SG reading. Be sure to sanitize everything first. Then I would recommend giving it another 2 weeks before bottling. More time is, within reason, always helpful. Rest assured you're on your way to a fine batch of beer. Enjoy!

i wasn't trying to be harsh... i get it, honest.

i guarantee you that the hardest thing for any person posting here to do is to just "leave it the heck alone".

if we weren't the "tinkering" type, we wouldn't be here.

i'm just telling you (from painful experience) that the more you mess with it, the more opportunity you create for something to go wrong... and if it happens to you, it's gonna suck. it sucked when it happened to me.

good luck with it... hope it turns out well for you

chuck-norris.gif

thanks guys, I'll use the Ronco method. Set it and forget it lol

Have to agree with the 'relax and have a beer' responses. I've done about 8 batches and I only now have the equipment to take gravities. If the gravity is a little off, who cares? (unless you're a commercial brewer). Just keep practicing and taking notes. If home brewing stresses you so that it's not enjoyable, get another hobby. Keep in mind that we all make mistakes so don't set your personal standards too high. On the other hand challange yourself to learn and improve.

ok I didn't wait lol. Took a FG of 1.011 (recommended 1.011-1.015)

smelled fine, tasted the sample and it was ok so I decided to bottle.

Here are some pics......let me know what you think.

first opened the primary
433A008F-CCF9-4573-B199-33B3B4E32E2C_zpsxychg8ul.jpg

Hydro reading
59629EB9-B639-47E2-A56B-50D42D432A7D_zps13meda1j.jpg

looks pretty clear for a weizen
0C353A5B-A936-4DCB-B830-80E5EBC7C83A_zpsm1ao34np.jpg

racking to bottling bucket
6A630598-6F2D-4CB8-92CA-EEBDE0DA0DCA_zps6vdobkn9.jpg

Nasty trub lol
39A83537-4C0D-4206-940F-45BE27903B0D_zpsznus5nzy.jpg

bottling (I cleaned them)
398B6DA1-5CFD-4CC4-971C-147B846D6B1B_zps9tppuujm.jpg