First Time Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I'm heading to LHBS today to buy my ingredients. I am not yet decided as to what to do about my yeast (dry or liquid). I am planning to brew tomorrow. Is it too late to make a starter?

Fairly low/moderate OG beer - 1.050 and Brewers Friend is telling me to pitch around 200 Billion cells. If I get a vile of 100 Billion cells and do a 1L starter with OG 1.035 tonight, is that too late to pitch tomorrow afternoon?

Also, in a smaller beer like this with a lighter profile (SRM of <4) will dumping the entire starter, without decanting, have much of an impact on my 5 gallon batch?

I have DME at home.

I am planning to brew tomorrow. Is it too late to make a starter?

Also, in a smaller beer like this with a lighter profile (SRM of <4) will dumping the entire starter, without decanting, have much of an impact on my 5 gallon batch?

If you have a stirring plate, get it going ASAP. Then yes I would think you could brew tomorrow by pitching the entire yeast starter. Without a stirring plate, I don't think 18 hours is enough time. I would go the dry yeast route and just pitch one pack. No starter for dry yeast as they are packaged in peak condition.

Make your first yeast starter another time where you have 2-4 days for the yeast to reproduce, build up their energy stocks, and then put in the fridge to drop the yeast (for decanting).

The only thing about pitching the whole thing, beer and all, is that unless you controlled the temp of your starter, off flavors can contribute to the quality of the batch. Decanting doesn't really have that same effect. I did not control my starter temp because I decant. If I plan to brew in a day (or just under) I will double pitch or pitch dry. It is costly to double pitch a vial or smack pack, but if I am in a rush and really want that yeast to be used then so be it.

I would say though that my reading shows a starter on a stir plate can be done in 18 - 24 hours. I randomly mentioned this just now in the drinking thread and someone said 48. I am guessing for you and a 1.050 beer, 18 hours is okay. If you are worried, pitch a dry yeast or two vials (which again gets costly).

What style of beer or yeast profile are you going for? If it's a neutral US or English strain, I wouldn't even bother with liquid yeast and starter. US-05, S-04, and other dry yeasts work great, in my opinion. Even W-34/70 for a lager can give amazing results, when proper pitch rate and fermentation temperature are used. If you want a specific yeast character, then you should definitely go with the appropriate liquid strain and make the appropriate starter for it.

When it comes to starters, I generally decant and pitch only the yeast slurry that settles, especially if it's a more mild beer that can be more easily influenced by the addition of the fermented starter.

I feel you could do a starter in 18-24 hours just as described and probably would have minimal issues. A bit longer would insure against under pitching. I did a two step starter (for the first time) over 48 hours and it was fine. I've also done a 24 hour starter and did equally as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back