First time yeast harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reibrew

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wondering how much of this slurry to use in a 5 gallon batch?

I mixed up all the trub with about 300ml of leftover beer. Stirred it all up and poured into two mason jars. Poured off the top beer from both and consolidated into this.

Do I pour all or half of the non-beer yeast and other stuff? Do I just scoop the top quarter inch of white stuff which I assume is good yeast?

Original beer was 1.040og / 1.010fg. doing the same recipe. Yeast is about 3 weeks old. Kveik Voss.

Thanks!
PXL_20221112_161507797.jpg

My SOP for repitching a cake from a 5 gal ale ferment is 1/4 of saved slurry. 1/3 for my Kolsch(2565) and 1/2 for lagers. This is for cereal repitching and maintaining healthy yeast. If not repitching you can rack on top of the cake,especially if it's the same beer or close.

I'm wondering how much of this slurry to use in a 5 gallon batch?

The two words buried in your post that might radically change my answer is "Kveik Voss." Voss really is a beast that is different than most standard Ale or Lager yeasts. You could likely throw a couple tablespoons of that yeast into your next batch. Really!

In general, I also would follow @hottpeper13's "1/4 of saved slurry" approach. I have seen some reputable sources that say if you pitch 200B cells into a standard 5 gal ale batch, you will end up with 800B cells at the end of fermentation. Pitching 1/4 of the total slurry amount seems pretty safe and has worked very well for me (though I have mostly moved to using dry yeast with limited harvesting these days). For me, that was about the slurry that I could collect in a 16 oz jar (I tend to transfer a lot of trub into my fermenter).

On Brew dads yeast calculator you can input a second step at 20 L and no stir and it will give you the cell count at end and the replication rate which is important for repitching. I found this after the bright field microscope and related cell count stuff. Well at least I have a lab(sort of) if i Need it.

I am no expert but my SOP is to add about 1/4 of the top yeast to a can of Proper Starter (or make a starter with DME) about 2 days before I brew. It has always worked so far.

Back