First time using StarSan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschnyderite

Reaction score
I cleaned out my beer lines and now I want to sanitize. Do I mix the starsan with water before pumping it through? if so how much water vs starsan?

Do I leave it in the lines a certain amount of time?

Thanks!

I cleaned out my beer lines and now I want to sanitize. Do I mix the starsan with water before pumping it through? if so how much water vs starsan?

Do I leave it in the lines a certain amount of time?

Thanks!

5 gallons of water to 1 oz Starsan. One minute of contact should be enough.

Yes and yes. There are instructions on the bottle.

More is not better. The recommended mix ratio is just fine.

weird it shipped with a page of warnings about even letting it touch your skin, and you can just leave it in your beer line.

so when I tap the line, its ok to drink the first beer?

weird it shipped with a page of warnings about even letting it touch your skin, and you can just leave it in your beer line.

so when I tap the line, its ok to drink the first beer?

Yes. They're talking about the undiluted liquid. Dilute it per instructions. Trust these guys who have been answering this question and dong it themselves. ;)

A bit of caution: be very careful not to let any of the undiluted liquid come in contact with surfaces such as countertops and floors as it will eat through and leave irreparable damage. I unknowingly got a couple small drops on our counter top and they are now permanently etched and stained. I then read countless stories of people ruining granite counter tops and other surfaces. Don't fear the foam, but be careful!

Latest posts

Back