First time using liquid yeast/making a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopping4Hops

Reaction score
About to do my second brew, a NEIPA. For this one I got the classic Wyeast London A3 1318 and I am planning to do a starter. The yeast has January 25 date on it, so I guest it should be about 55% viable. This is my first time working with liquid yeast and I want to build a starter. I don't have a stir plate, but I plan to use a blender on the lowest setting. It has a non-stepped speed controller, so I can run it on a very low speed, lower than "1" in most blenders, thus I think that if I succeed sanitizing it, then I should be fine. What pitch rate do you think I should go for, considering I am most likely going to build a 20L (5gal) 1.06 wort for it to ferment? I would like a slight underpitch to create some more intense fruity ester profile. My starter will be (unless someone proposed something better) 1L with 100g extra light DME. Should I leave it in the starter for 2 days, or will 1 suffice?

I would not use a blender. If (when) I didnt have a stir plate and a flask, I just use a 2 liter soda bottle. Do a 1 liter starter, cool it, put it in the bottle, shake it alot, pitch the yeast and just shake/stir it up once in a while. It will be perfectly fine.

The 1L/100g ratio is what I use and it’s been fine. I wouldn’t use a blender though; you’ll have to keep it running the entire time. That just seems like it would burn out the blender’s motor and/or be a hassle.

If you want to underpitch, you probably don’t even need to make a starter. 1.060 gravity isn’t that high that it would stall out in my opinion. But if you think it’s only 55% viable then maybe do what STMF recommends.

No need to use the blender, just make a larger starter/use 2 packets of yeast if necessary (probably necessary). Use mrmalty.com to calculate.

I too, would not use the blender. Your one pack is at 57% viable. A 1.1 liter starter on a stirplate is full pitch. 2.5 with intermittent shaking is full pitch.

Denny, I believe, now makes a starter and just shakes the crap out of it to aerate, then leaves it to itself. I forget the size but I also believe he does the same for most different gravities.

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/denny/old-dognew-tricks

I would not use a blender. If (when) I didnt have a stir plate and a flask, I just use a 2 liter soda bottle. Do a 1 liter starter, cool it, put it in the bottle, shake it alot, pitch the yeast and just shake/stir it up once in a while. It will be perfectly fine.

This! I use a gallon cider jug and shake it like it talked bad about my mama!! Every chance I get for the 36-48 hours before it gets pitched into my 5 gal batch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back