First time using blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alphadawg

Reaction score
I am making a fairly high gravity Christmas Ale and decided to use a blow off tube instead of a regular airlock. Basically stuck a 2 ft. piece of hose into the hole in the plastic bucket, pretty tight fit. Ran the hose to a glass of StarSan. I am not seeing bubbles. Is that normal?

If I press on the top of the bucket, bubbles come out into the water. It always makes me more comfortable with the air lock when I can see it bubbling away.

It's normal if there isn't a perfect seal on the fermenter, which is common with buckets.

If you have the right ID hosing, you can attach it over the post inside the airlock (assuming a 3 piece type).

The fermenter usually has a good seal - I will check it again. What is the advantage of attaching the hose to the air lock?

Brewed the beer Sunday afternoon - so about 36 hours. Used Wyeast 1007 German Ale "smack pack" per recipe instructions

Brewed the beer Sunday afternoon - so about 36 hours. Used Wyeast 1007 German Ale "smack pack" per recipe instructions

Try shining a flashlight through the bucket to see if a krausen has formed.

using a hose to air lock I really don't see an advantage other than you need room so you can't have the air lock on top - I don't use them any more just a blow off tube. I would give it bit more time, this is a big beer.

It depends on the bucket, but the hose-over-airlock thing gets a good seal. If you have a hose that fits in a different way and provides a seal, then disregard.

Latest posts

Back