First time to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woods2014

Reaction score
It's been 4 days I know people say to wait a week or 2 but I was wondering on a porter since it's so dark how can u tell if it is carbonating right?

4 days isn't enough. I would wait longer than two weeks for a porter, but that is just me, some may drink it sooner. It can be difficult, but if you can be patient, you will be much happier. There is nothing worse than opening that first beer a little early, expecting greatness, and getting flatness.

If you are that antsy, I wouldn't open one any earlier than a week but it will be better if you wait a few. Again, just an opinion thing...

Cheers!

Yeah I planned on waiting 2 weeks at least. I was going to try 1 at 1 week. But my question was how can u tell if it is carbonating the beer

you can't tell if its carbonating right, and you shouldn't bother to tell. I was super curious at first too and kept trying to tip them and see if it bubbles, but really you should leave them somewhere dark and let them be for a few weeks. Trust the process and let the yeast do their work. Even if they aren't carbonating, there isn't anything you can do at this point anyway, and I can just about guarantee that after a few days they aren't carbonated yet. Make another batch in the meantime!

fill a one or two liter plastic pop bottle, (I use them al the time and they work great). They will get as hard as a rock when they are carbed.

Go ahead and open one and drink it flat. It'll give you peace of mind for a few more days so the rest have a chance to carb.

I always bottle a couple in oddball bottles so I don't feel too guilty about opening them early.

As mentioned above, this is something that you just expect is happening based on the fact that you followed the correct process for bottling. As SeeMont stated, you would only be able to tell for sure if you bottled some in a pliable container you could squeeze and feel the pressure increase over time. I am sure it will be fine. You should have minimal CO2 buildup over 4 days, and would be able to tell by popping the top. Your beer will not actually be carbonated and 2 weeks minimum, and more like 3 for a porter would be my recommendation for adequate carbonation. Then put the bottles in the fridge for 48 hours minimum to allow for the CO2 to absorb into your beer. Cheers!

Yeah I planned on waiting 2 weeks at least. I was going to try 1 at 1 week. But my question was how can u tell if it is carbonating the beer

Why do you want to do this? I don't see a use in bottling if your SG has not stabilized. If it has then have at it but if it is still fermenting you could just end up with a bottle bomb.

Why do you want to do this? I don't see a use in bottling if your SG has not stabilized. If it has then have at it but if it is still fermenting you could just end up with a bottle bomb.

I think that he meant that he wanted to try a bottled beer at 1 week and 2 weeks..etc. Its assumed that he bottled after the gravity had stabilized, he's just wondering how soon can he sample them.

Back