First time making extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFace_Brewing

Reaction score
Well I am trying something new what do you guys think. It is extract but still sounds good to me....brewing this tonight.

Ingredients:
6lb Golden Light LME
1lb 2-row
.5lb Biscuit
.5lb Caramel 60
1oz casacade
1oz hallertau
Wyeast German Ale

IBU 29
ABV 5.1%
Calories (12oz) 168

Brewing:
Steep grains for 40 min @ 152
Bring to boil
Add 6lb LME
Bring to boil
Add 1oz cascade pellet @ 60
Add 1 oz Hallertaue @ 15
1TBSP Irish Moss @ 15
Cool to 75d
Pitch yeast and sit for 2 week in primary, then 7 days in secondary, then keg at 30 psi for 48 hours, then at 14 psi for 1 week, then 8psi serving

this is the first time I made a brew on my own and not followed anyones directions...hope it turns out ok :mug:

It looks like a good one to me. A good bready malt flavor will hopefully come out with that yeast and the biscuit malt. What temperature are you fermenting at? If you can, try to cool the wort down to fermentation temps (or cooler) and then pitch the yeast.

Your kegging procedure should work out too. Just be careful not to overcarb!

storunner13 said:
It looks like a good one to me. A good bready malt flavor will hopefully come out with that yeast and the biscuit malt. What temperature are you fermenting at? If you can, try to cool the wort down to fermentation temps (or cooler) and then pitch the yeast.

Your kegging procedure should work out too. Just be careful not to overcarb!

I just got done.... Chilled to 72 and pitched. Will ferment at 68-70

OK so we are day 2 on 30 PSI and it is looking good!! Had my first taste today and I would say this is a GREAT Summer beer....slight hoppy taste in the beginning and full of flavor...no strong bite so even the SWMBO can drink it. I think I will maybe add some honey next time to get a little sweetness in it.

Dropping down to serving psi now, 10PSI and I have a nice 3/4"-1" head on a Imperial Pint and some beautiful little fizzies coming from the bottom of the glass....forgot the irish moss this time during brew day BUT I can still see my fizzy friends.

This is the first brew I forgot to get the OG, but the FG was 1.013 and according to my calculator if I hit the OG that I was suppose to I have a 5.1% ABV summer drink...Well lets drink up and see if we can catch a buzz!! :mug:

Back