First time kegger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwards81

Reaction score
I just got a keg for christmas and looking for some pointers on how to accomplish a perfect keg of beer with the right balance of carbonation. I am going to using a vienna larger for this.

Well, one thing you should do is, of course, purge your keg after you fill it.. i.e. put the CO2 on, and then use the manual release to help push the air out. Also, your best bet is to chill the keg full of your lager while carbing it. You'll find that you need less pressure to get the same result. Finally, just sit it in your kegerator/keezer/etc and leave it for a week or so on the CO2.

So i should fill the keg then put the co2 on it and pull the pin to let the co2 out. Know what level of pressurecdocyou think i should use?

So i should fill the keg then put the co2 on it and pull the pin to let the co2 out. Know what level of pressurecdocyou think i should use?

Yes -- once or twice to get the oxygen-rich air out. Since CO2 is heavier than air, it will push the air out the relief valve. Of course you should continue pushing CO2 into the keg, but just purge the air out of it.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388241730.688032.jpg
Here's the carb chart I use. Then carb to style guidelines for the beer brewed.

Back