First time home buyer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All good advice so far. My biggest advice, ship for items such as appliances, major tools, etc. on Craig's list.

On major tool purchases that are inevitable, Go high quality from the start. Getting small engine tools from lowes or hd is a waste, go to a reputable small engine shop or hardware store, and get brands such as Stihl, Echo, or Husqvarna. Slightly more expensive, but they last forever and have good warranties. The instances where you have to use these tools sucks bad enough, no need to making it worse by fighting a tool that won't start.

Once you get to know your neighbors, figure out what services they can offer, and ones that you can do in return. Trading favors is a way to plow through big projects.

Oh, and the biggest advice of all, pick the spot for your kegerator now......and put one there. If your wife/girlfriend ever gets accustomed to using a particular spot for anything, no matter how unimportant, it is going to be a battle.

One thing I wish I had considered more is property taxes. Of course it varies from state to state, but for me it added about 50% to my monthly payment. A general rule of thumb is that you will pay about 1% of your home's value each month for mortgage, taxes, utilities, and maintenance.

Btw, don't know if Missouri has this but in Florida we have a homestead exemption property tax. If this is your primary residence they knock 25k off your assessed value of your home for tax purposes.

VinceF said:
One thing I wish I had considered more is property taxes. Of course it varies from state to state, but for me it added about 50% to my monthly payment. A general rule of thumb is that you will pay about 1% of your home's value each month for mortgage, taxes, utilities, and maintenance.

+1 look @ what the house assesed for prior to the housing collapse. If the house has lost a lot of value since 2008 your escrow could end up crippling you financially if/when the market bounces back and the county reasses. Especially if you make improvements.

I just want to thank everyone that has replied with advice and suggestions in this thread. A lot of useful information has been offered and came in handy during the whole process. Just figured I'd give an update. I just closed on my first house yesterday and got the majority of my stuff moved in. I got to wake up in my own house for the first time and I gotta say it felt damn good. Now to get everything settled so that I can try and fit a brew in this weekend :rockin:. I've got a Maris Otter/Cascade SMaSH from my first year growing hops on deck. It's gonna be a big day. Thanks again all!

mrkrausen said:
I just want to thank everyone that has replied with advice and suggestions in this thread. A lot of useful information has been offered and came in handy during the whole process. Just figured I'd give an update. I just closed on my first house yesterday and got the majority of my stuff moved in. I got to wake up in my own house for the first time and I gotta say it felt damn good. Now to get everything settled so that I can try and fit a brew in this weekend :rockin:. I've got a Maris Otter/Cascade SMaSH from my first year growing hops on deck. It's gonna be a big day. Thanks again all!

Congratulations!

Live in the house a few months before deciding to do major remodeling. You may find that what you initially thought was, for instance, a horrid kitchen layout actually works well, and you could save some cash by getting away with just new cabinets instead of gutting the entire thing.

But above all, this:

Be out of debt have a large down payment and live BELOW your means.

If no one has told, get a quality home inspection and follow that if it leads to other issues.

In other words, pay a little money to find out about any potential and perhaps not obvious issues with the house. Often the seller will pay to make such repairs - unless a large issue is discovered.

Of course, if a large issue is discovered you will likely want to bail unless you really know what you are doing - and if you knew that you would not likely have started this post.

Relax, take the time to understand all that is happening, and ask everyone lots of questions. Everyone is getting paid to "help" you out - so go to school with all of them. It is amazing how much money is paid in one type of fee or another.

Good Luck,
David

mrkrausen said:

Congrats on the buying the first house is a blast.

Back