First Time Filtering: Are bubbles normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
I filtered out of my conical for the first time yesterday and it went really well. I pushed the beer out using CO2 and noticed that as the beer left the filter there were a good deal of bubbles in the hose. Is this normal? I'm guessing since I was pushing it with CO2 the bubbles weren't oxygen. Hoping I don't have to worry I just oxygenated my beer.

The bubbles are probably just CO2 from fermentation being knocked out of solution. When I filter beers (though I rarely do anymore), I always experienced this, and never had oxidation issues.

While the beer shouldn't be coming out of the fermenter carbonated (unless you pressure ferment), it's not unusual for there to be a little gas present in the beer.

Oh good to hear.

The bubbles are probably just CO2 from fermentation being knocked out of solution. When I filter beers (though I rarely do anymore), I always experienced this, and never had oxidation issues.

While the beer shouldn't be coming out of the fermenter carbonated (unless you pressure ferment), it's not unusual for there to be a little gas present in the beer.

I used my whole hose filter for the first time last week and noticed the same thing. I used a vacuum pump to pull some skeeter pee through a filter and into another carboy. There were a lot of bubbles in the filter (looked like it was full of soda) and lots of "air" in the out hose. I assumed that there was still some CO2 that was dissolved, but I was a little nervious.

Back