first time cider batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuiceyJay

Reaction score
i decided on a whim to make a batch of hard cider (more for my wife than i). 5 gallons of pasturized cider, no preservatives, 2 cups of sugar and some caramel flavor. i think this time it'll be non carbonated (maybe)
if i decide that its non carbonated, can i just put it back in the jugs it came in since i wont be adding priming sugar? or do i still need to stovetop pasturize it?

if i do decide to carbonate it do i still need to get it low on the fg, bottle and carbonate and just check after a couple days? to see if it's too my liking and than pasturize? I forgot to take an OG reading

also, if i do decide to carbonate, how much priming sugar do i need to rack it onto?

sorry for all the questions, still new to brewing

IMAG0226_zpsc4eece86.jpg

i decided on a whim to make a batch of hard cider (more for my wife than i). 5 gallons of pasturized cider, no preservatives, 2 cups of sugar and some caramel flavor. i think this time it'll be non carbonated (maybe)
if i decide that its non carbonated, can i just put it back in the jugs it came in since i wont be adding priming sugar? or do i still need to stovetop pasturize it?

if i do decide to carbonate it do i still need to get it low on the fg, bottle and carbonate and just check after a couple days? to see if it's too my liking and than pasturize? I forgot to take an OG reading

also, if i do decide to carbonate, how much priming sugar do i need to rack it onto?

sorry for all the questions, still new to brewing

Yes, you can just put it back.

You can chk the gravity now, and bottle just above what you like as a sweetness lvl. Use the plastic soda bottle trick described to chk carb lvl. Then pasteurize.

There should be no priming sugar involved if your gravity is still above where you want it for sweetness lvl. If its below that point, you can add sugar back in to raise the gravity. A good rule of thumb for carbination is one ounce of priming sugar for each gallon, but that is if fermentation has stopped. Carbing in the middle of primary fermentation can be tricky. Hydrometer chks are needed frequently.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the info, after a bit of reading I found out about the soda bottle trick and about the one ounce of sugar per gal fermented.

I think I'll just wait until it's done fermenting and back sweeten with some good sugary cider and than stove top it.

Thanks for the info, after a bit of reading I found out about the soda bottle trick and about the one ounce of sugar per gal fermented.

I think I'll just wait until it's done fermenting and back sweeten with some good sugary cider and than stove top it.

That's a very good (and safe!) choice. ;-)

i took a gravity reading after one full day of happily bubbling cider and i got a 1.060, i dont know if it's dropped much from yesterday (not sure on how fast the gravity will actually drop)
Tasted of caramel and apple cider, it was sweet and wonderful, can't wait do drink the real stuff

Back