First time brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're carbonating in a keg (since you mentioned psi), i have success with putting it at 30 then putting it in the fridge. After 24 hours, reduce to 12 or so. In 2 weeks it is ready.

That's great advice, thanks. I'm using a CO2 tank and regulator hooked up to an adapter to fit the 500ml green bottles. Tried one with my brother, hooked it up, turned the pressure to 30 and shook the bottle. It was too bubbly for me. I think I'll experiment with water to get the right amount of bubbly then try it with cider. I'm not sure if I'm going to try a keg yet. I'm only doing one gallon batches so far.

First, campden will stop yeast or bacteria from reproducing. But it won't stop it on an active ferment.

Campden alone does nothing (other than being an antioxidant). Potassium sorbate and campden together will inhibit yeast reproduction.

I thought Campden would bring the fermentation to a halt. I plan to consume it within two weeks of bottling. Should I worry about bottle bombs even if I'm using stevia as my sweetener? I was hoping the Campden and refrigeration would slow/stop any fermentation enough that I could sweeten with stevia/xylitol, carbonate and bottle, drinking it within two weeks.

Campden will not stop fermentation. But your plan is still viable. Let the cider finish fermenting, and clear to whatever point you want it to. Then sweeten with Stevia/Xylitol and add priming sugar before bottling. I suggest carbonating to 2.4 or 2.5 "volumes of CO2" (that's how they measure carbonation). This calculator will tell you how much priming sugar to add:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Test a bottle after 2 weeks to see what you have for bubbles. My last batch took a full month to fully carbonate.

Edit: If you're going to force carbonate, then skip the priming sugar. You can rack onto campden and potassium sorbate, wait 3-4 days, then sweeten with whatever you want and carbonate.

Campden alone does nothing (other than being an antioxidant). Potassium sorbate and campden together will inhibit yeast reproduction.

Campden will not stop fermentation. But your plan is still viable. Let the cider finish fermenting, and clear to whatever point you want it to. Then sweeten with Stevia/Xylitol and add priming sugar before bottling. I suggest carbonating to 2.4 or 2.5 "volumes of CO2" (that's how they measure carbonation). This calculator will tell you how much priming sugar to add:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Test a bottle after 2 weeks to see what you have for bubbles. My last batch took a full month to fully carbonate.

Edit: If you're going to force carbonate, then skip the priming sugar. You can rack onto campden and potassium sorbate, wait 3-4 days, then sweeten with whatever you want and carbonate.

Yes that's right about campden and sorbate. I misspoke.

And definitely right On priming sugar.

That's great advice, thanks. I'm using a CO2 tank and regulator hooked up to an adapter to fit the 500ml green bottles. Tried one with my brother, hooked it up, turned the pressure to 30 and shook the bottle. It was too bubbly for me. I think I'll experiment with water to get the right amount of bubbly then try it with cider. I'm not sure if I'm going to try a keg yet. I'm only doing one gallon batches so far.

How long did you leave it on the gas? Keep it cold when carbonating so it absorbs faster. But lower pressure will also help to get it where you want it. It might take some trials with those bottles. Be careful!

Thanks, It's the potassium sorbate that I forgot. Gotta pick some up.

So, my plan is to test the batches again mid week, add Campden/potassium sorbate, wait a few days then force carbonate in the bottles.

How long did you leave it on the gas? Keep it cold when carbonating so it absorbs faster. But lower pressure will also help to get it where you want it. It might take some trials with those bottles. Be careful!

Just a couple minutes after the bottle was shaken. I'm definitely going to experiment with water first.

If you want to save on yeast and time, just make a 20 litre starter i.e. start a batch of cider as you normally would. After 3 days, split it 4 or 5 ways and start new batches.

That's what I normally do.

So a month has past since I last posted. Life happens and the cider took a back bench. It was not a bad thing though, the two batches with Nottingham yeast cleared right up and the taste improved. I placed both batches in the fridge to slow any possible fermentation. I siphoned one batch into bottles, put a small amount of stevia( 100 grains ish) and a small drop of apple flavour, force carbonated and drank.
I found them very fresh tasting, dry to semi-dry with a nice roundness to the apple flavour, not heavy. I could drink this cider often. I was a little rushed getting the bottles ready. There were some off flavours but only in two bottles, my bad for not rinsing thoroughly. Getting the carbonation in each bottle consistent is going to be tricky. It definitely works best when the cider is cold.
I am definitely going to stay with 1 gallon batches for now. The jugs are proving very easy to transport, clean and maintain. Very little real estate is needed, so much better if I want to let a few batches sit for long periods of time. They are also more versatile for experimenting, which is my main goal.
I'm so very happy I started this journey, it's been a great learning experience. This was the first batch but not the last.
Brew on brothers and sisters!

View attachment 1453687335112.jpg

View attachment 1453687350832.jpg

Back