First Time Brewing a Roggenbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fez

Reaction score
Hi guys, so I've never brewed a roggenbier beer but I am very interested in the style. I came up with a recipe based on various different forums and wanted to see what you guys think.

All Grain
5 Gal
5.1% ABV
OG 1051
FG 1012
IBUs 14.9

51b 12oz Rye Malt (50%)
1lb 12oz US 2 Row (15.2%)
1lb 12oz Munich 10L (15.2%)
1lb 12oz Wheat Malt (15.2%)
8oz Crystal 40 (4.4%)

* I plan on using between 1 and 2 pounds of rice hulls, as well as some black malt added right before sparging for colour adjustment *

Mash at 152 for 60 mins

1.15 oz Hallertau at 60 mins
1.15 oz Hallertau at 10 mins

Ferment around 68 with WLP 300 or WY 3068

Would it be a good idea to swap out some of that wheat malt for some caramunich?

And also, how about using some dehusked carafa to adjust the colour?

All help is appreciated considering I have never brewed this style

A roggenbier should start out like a hef- about 50% rye malt and 50% base malt like pils, 2-row, or vienna. You've got too much going on in there. However, I've brewed a single-infusion roggenbier and ended up with a syrup-thick drink, that was tasty, but off-puttingly thick. I would recommend against making such a beer until you can do a step-mash with a protein and beta-glucan rest before saccharification.

Thanks for the input guys. The reason I added the munich, wheat, and crystal was because of Beer Smith's description which is

"German rye beers are made with 50-60% rye, with the remainder of the malt bill consisting of pale malt, wheat malt or Munich malt. Crystal malts are often used in small quantities to add body and color. Occasionally debittered dark malts are used to darken the color."

I do like the idea of making a hefe with rye instead of wheat though. Maybe I will try that instead. I added the darker malts because the SRM for the style is 14-19

Latest posts

Back