First time brewing a apfelwein - no sign of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deep737

Reaction score
Hi gurus,
I am brewing apflewein for the first time. It has been almost 20 hours but there is no sign of fermentation. Here is what I have done:

1. 3 gallons of apple juice (no preservatives on it)

2. 1.2 lb. Of corn sugar added

3. Added 1 teaspoon of pectic enzyme (I think I should have added this after the fermentation is done)

4. Used Montrachet Red star wine yeast. I had dissolved the yeast in semi warm water and then added the same to the juice. I used one whole pack of it.

5. Air locked.

Do you think it is okay that the fermentation has still not started given it is more than 20 hours now? Is pectic enzyme interfering with the yeast?

LOL! I am nervous thinking that I shouldnt have added the pectic enzyme before adding yeast. What do you think - will that have any affect on fermentation?

Shouldn't have any affect; pectic enzyme is produced by yeast. They just don't always produce enough to clear a pectic haze.

Air lock bubbling is not a good indicator of active fermentation, you might have a leak around the bung or lid which is allowing CO2 to escape.

As a side note, no need for pectinase in juice unless it's cloudy to begin with.

Thank you all for your responses. I think the fermentation has begun.. but only little bit. I can see a rim of tiny bubbles on the top but not a significant amount.
Regarding the bung and airlock - it does make sense what oldmate has mentioned. Last time when I aged a beer in this carboy it kind of went stale. I am now suspecting that there can be a leak. In that case, I'll wait for one more day (complete 72 hours)- if nothing happens I will transfer into another carboy with a different bung. I hope that won't kill the yeast.. let me know your thoughts...
Thanks again
Deep

It won't kill the yeast and it probably won't affect the fermentation at all in the first week or so. Leave it a week then think about transferring. I would also take a sample while transferring and measure the specific gravity, if it's not completely dry at this point treat it's new carboy as a primary.

Also, from personal experience: if you're a beer brewer, don't get freaked out when the cider fermentation isn't as massive and up-front as you're used to.

I find my ciders ferment much slower, a nice easy "soda pop" bubbling look to it, for about 30 days. It's considerably less aggressive than the "ALL HANDS ON DECK!" first 72 hours that brewers are used to.

Guys it finally started fermenting in full swing!!!
Thank you all for your help!!

Cheers
Deep

Latest posts

Back