First time brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerseybrews

Reaction score
I just went to a extract/grain class, and picked up this kit. I an looking in to a 8 gallon brewpot and a outdoor burner . A buddy of mine told me to stick to a 4 gallon pot and my electric stove for now :-/. Which I might do. But anyway I would like to get a extract stout kit but and more sugar or extract to it to make it stronger. Any ideas on a kit to buy and sugars or extract to add. He swiss all iwould have to do is boil 2 gallons and add to cold water in my fementer.. Thanks for understanding how much of a newbie I am.. And cheers!

ForumRunner_20120423_214628.jpg

If you do plan on getting a bigger pot to do full boils (assuming a 5 gallon batch), go with at least a 10 gallon pot. An 8 gallon may be sufficient but you'll want the extra space to avoid any boil over issues.

I've never brewed inside, but when I brewed my first extract batch outside I boiled over (using buddy's turkey fryer) glad that mess wasn't inside. Buy the fryer and I agree at least an 8 gallon pot to do full boil for 5 gallon batches

Absolutely. I almost feel like I'm cheating with a partial boil... I can't wait to get started.

I would not recommend trying to increase the ABV on your first brew. Patience is one of the more difficult things to learn in this hobby, and high ABV brews take a lot longer to mature. Stick with something around 5% so it might be drinkable in 6 to 8 weeks. For sure the last beer you drink in your first batch will be the best.
Welcome to the hobby.
I agree the bigger pot is preferred.

I suggest using a kit from one of the major distributors. Brew it per the directions. If you want a high ABV, buy a high ABV kit. An extract brew is usually formulated for stove top brewing at 2.5 -3 gallons and topping up to 5 gallons.

Follow the directions with the kits, but err on longer times for fermenting and bottle conditioning.

Do this until you have the basic brewing procedures down then start making changes to suit your tastes.

In response to the lager brewpot, I saw, this on craigs list for $85. Is it overkill for some one like me.
$85 - 8 Gal Beer Brewing Kettle w/ Valve & Thermometer - Brand New and Never Used All fittings are 1/2" threads with SS weldless bulkheads 8 Gallon/32 Quart Capacity Extra thick!! 1.2 mm thick sidewall and a 3mm thick bottom 3" weldless thermometer All SS 1/2" SS Full Port Ball Valve
Cheers!

If you already have a pot for brewing I would use that for indoor brews for now. If you don't then you will prob. want to go ahead and get the bigger pot with turkey fryer as that is going to be my next upgrade and I've only done 3 batches so far. Also, one thing you should know is you probably cannot do full boils indoors. I tried like a 4 gallon boil and it takes way too long and just barely made it to boiling point.

Also, for some extract kits you might want to check out Austin Homebrew for their brews. They have a ton to chose from.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_452_43

Kevin

I suggest using a kit from one of the major distributors. Brew it per the directions. If you want a high ABV, buy a high ABV kit. An extract brew is usually formulated for stove top brewing at 2.5 -3 gallons and topping up to 5 gallons.

Follow the directions with the kits, but err on longer times for fermenting and bottle conditioning.

Do this until you have the basic brewing procedures down then start making changes to suit your tastes.

This^

I've never done anything but full boil. The only thing you'll see is a little better hop utilization. In a couple brews that I needed less hoppy, I've cut out some hops and kept them for later.

If you're buying everything to start, go bigger. Might cost a little more short term but in the long run you will spend less. If you decide you don't like brewing (hahaha) you will be able to sell everything pretty fast.

Aside from that, read. Read these forums, read a couple books (Papazian's "Joy of Homebrewing" is a great place to start) before you brew that first batch and it will help. Take notes, and the second will be much easier.

Aside from that, read. Read these forums, read a couple books (Papazian's "Joy of Homebrewing" is a great place to start) before you brew that first batch and it will help. Take notes, and the second will be much easier.[/QUOTE]

Definitely read the first section of this before your first brew day, and relax have a homebrew. After all, it's only beer.

Jerseybrews said:
In response to the lager brewpot, I saw, this on craigs list for $85. Is it overkill for some one like me.
$85 - 8 Gal Beer Brewing Kettle w/ Valve & Thermometer - Brand New and Never Used All fittings are 1/2" threads with SS weldless bulkheads 8 Gallon/32 Quart Capacity Extra thick!! 1.2 mm thick sidewall and a 3mm thick bottom 3" weldless thermometer All SS 1/2" SS Full Port Ball Valve
Cheers!

Not sure what brand it is, but if it's stainless steel that's a good deal with fittings! A 40 quart with nothing was like $85 at my local homebrew supply store

You may want to start small and not buy advanced equipment until you know what all of it is for. Lots of brewing websites sell starter brewing sets that are great ways to get into the hobby. I started with one from morebeer but they are all pretty similar. Adding more variables before you nail down your process will not make better beer. The same is true for kits. Don't change any kits because they are built for balance. If you want to make your own recipes I would look at other peoples in the recipe section here. You prob won't understand everything on them. Research every part you don't understand with the search feature because trust me someone had asked every question before. After you understand what all goes into actually making a recipe you can try your own. There are programs out there that help with that as well. Welcome to the addiction!
Edit sorry for grammar and spelling. Typing on iPhones sucks!

I do want to start small. But I believe the 8 gallon it's small compaired to what I've seen. The class I went to used a 8gal. the brewmaster recommended a 8 gal to start out with .. I have these wonderful dreams on what my mancave will become. But for now its 5 gallons of beer and cider at a time.. This week its the pot next week its the burner then the week after a recipe kit. Somewhere in june ill be enjoying my first batch . And if it comes out like ****. So be it... Its my **** and hopfully ill get a good buzz from it. I will learn more every batch I brew. And soon I wont have the need to fill up my growler at my local brew pub for 11bucks. that money gonna go in to my brew fund.

unfortunately I have an electric stove. so it would be in my best interest to buy outdoor burner.

Where in NJ are you? The best way to learn is to find someone willing to let you hang out during a brew session. That 9 gallon pot would be a fine purchase no matter where you end up.

I'm in carteret, i also got the ok from the wife to convert the mancave/ basement to my brewery.i have a old bomb shelter in the basement that I'm fermenting in as it is always dark and cold. I have a buddy that works at the brewers apprentice that is willing to give me his discount. and I have 2 other home brewers that are willing to help. Im just waiting on money to buy my pot and burner.. Soon soon
Cheers!

Back