First time brewer questions on using fermenter as bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryansod

Reaction score
Hello brew talk community!

I’m going to be brewing my first batch in a couple day and have a question about using my fermenter as a bottling bucket, all in one setup. I’m brewing in a very small apartment and equipment space is limited. I’ll be going for a 2 gallon BIAB setup fermenting in a 3 gallon fermenter from morebeer with a spigot. I will be skipping a secondary fermentation. https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermonster-3-gallon-ported-carboy-spigot.html
Knowing the I will prob have a good amount of trub I was concidering using an in-line filter for bottling or maybe adding a bazooka like filter attached to the inside of the fermenter attached to the spigot.

Is this a bad idea? Am I over think it and should just enjoy my first brew day?

Thank you for any advice!

I thought along the same lines. My spigot/bottling set up for primary bucket bottling. No filter needed. Works great. Once cold crashed or set for 3 weeks, the trub lies below the spigot.Have fun!
20181118_022529.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick response! Looks like your doing exactly what I will be doing. Any issues on “suck back” when cold crashing? I was going to swing by the medical supply shop to see what the have for empty IV bags to setup a DIY solution. But also may just give it a go the first time and see where I end up.

You'll get a little bit of trub/yeast with the first time you open that spigot; just run a little off and it should clear. As long as you are pulling clear beer it'll be fine, and certainly shortens the process as no bottling bucket.

The only issue is getting the sugar into the beer; you could put a measured amount into each bottle, or use carbonation/"fizz" drops.

I'd steer away from a filter; if it gets clogged, then how do you resolve it?

The pic below shows me racking/draining to a keg; not really any different in practice from what you propose.

racktokeg.jpg

Thank you for the quick response! Looks like your doing exactly what I will be doing. Any issues on “suck back” when cold crashing? I was going to swing by the medical supply shop to see what the have for empty IV bags to setup a DIY solution. But also may just give it a go the first time and see where I end up.

If your setup is airtight, there will be some suckback; how much depends on how much headspace you have; the more, the greater the suckback. With a 2-gallon batch in a 3-gallon fermonster, proportionately that's a lot.

What I used to do was twist-tie a used plastic bread bag over the blowoff tube toward the end of fermentation and let it fill with CO2 from fermentation; then as the headspace contracted during cold crash, it would pull that CO2 back in, avoiding air (for the most part).

Back