First time brewer, eggs smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamcam95

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’ve just bought my first brewing kit and started brewing yesterday.

I don’t have a lot of space and to try and keep the temperature steady I have placed it in my bathroom (20 degrees C). I opened the bathroom door today and was hit by an eggy smell!

I have read online that this is fairly normal, but can anyone tell me for sure if this is ok or if I have made a mistake and need to start again?

If it is normal, is there any way to get rid of the smell or will it disappear naturally during fermentation stage?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but it is brand new to me and I want to make sure that I haven’t made a mistake.

Thanks!

That's what I was about to say I use S-04 in everything from beer to mead and I've never had sulfur from it. I would for sure try it out at a higher temp.
Me neither, but a friend of mine had and he fermented in his basement which was really cold.

I did the same once and for the first time ever, got a lager-ish sulfur bite from it.

Therefore the conclusion that it is low temperature related.

In case you haven't gleaned it yet, sulfur production is primarily yeast dependent. Some strains throw more sulfur than others (lagers, for example). But sulfur can also be an indicator that the yeast are malnourished - like in the case of kveik fermenting too low gravity wort without a big dose of nutrient.

I do remember that Sulphur smell when I did a " lager " extract kit years ago. As the wise above say not uncommon but you can modify for next time to reduce it. Lager seems a lot more challenging than an ale kit or stout. Yet it looks and tastes so simple! There's more to it than meets the eye or in taste.

I had a faint sulfur smell during fermentation of a Mexican lager using SafLager W-34/70, and the beer turned out great. No sign of it in the final product. I have a Belgian IPA fermenting now with SafAle BE-256 that was a sulfur bomb yesterday. Had multiple rooms in my house stinking, but from what I’ve read, that yeast is known for it.

Sulfur is very normal. It will always disappear with age, usually within 1-3 weeks from start of fermentation. It can also happen in the bottles after adding priming sugar. Again, the same ~3 weeks maximum. Very rarely does it take longer than that to age out. The yeast will reabsorb excess sulfur late in their fermentation cycle.

Latest posts

Back