first time brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpo183

Reaction score
Hello,

Made my first brew ever about 2 weeks ago and was really impressed. I found a youtube channel called craigtube and saw him make a "cider" from supplies in a grocery store, so I set off to try it.

The receipe called for 1 gallon 100% apple juice, 2 cups of sugar, 1 packet of bread yeast (I used red star bread yeast) and he sugguested to use skme nutrient so I steeped some raisns and added that along with a couple into the mix.

I didnt have an airlock so I just ever so lightly untwisted the cap. I let it sit fkr a week ans WOW, it was really good. I cold crashed it and got some feedback. The majoirty of peol, e really liked it, a lot. It was a dryer wine but with a wet apple flavor, but not too sweet. It was semi tart.

I want to do another batch and try to carbinate part of it but my first question is if I use an airlock this time will it alter the one week fermentation process? Many people told me to wait 3 weeks or so but thjs was a very strong wine and tasted very very good so the one week worked great.

I was completely shocked at how good this was, and how strong it was with only a week.

Cider is pretty simple, see the recipe for Ed Wort's apfelwein.

An airlock will more effectively keep out bacteria, but it sounds like you had good, clean fermentation, so more of the same should be expected.

I would recommend a wine or ale yeast.

Back