First time AGer with new AL pot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfyrasng

Reaction score
I recently brewed my first AG batch with a new AL turkey fryer pot. I noticed when brewing the pot darkened on the inside. Was I supposed to boil water in it to allow this to happen before I brewed my beer, or will the beer still be fine?

Beer will be fine. The oxide layer is what protects the aluminum. Just don't clean the aluminum with any acid, bleach or anything that will strip the oxide off if you're brewing that day. You need to let it sit for a day or two to build up the oxide layer again.

Ya there is a big "to-do" about "Seasoning" your aluminum pot before use. I went ahead and seasoned it.... however I drank the warm water from the seasoned pot afterwards and it tasted absolutely fine. So I wouldn't be worried. I think the seasoning thing is just a personal assurance thing as you can visibly see a black oxide layer.

If you first All-Grain somehow turns out bad (which Im sure it won't) you can blame it on not seasoning :ban:

Latest posts

Back