First summer sausage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver79

Reaction score
So I built my 3rd smoker last year, had a decent deer season, and got motivated to smoke some sausage. I built a water powered sausage stuffer, and stuffed about 20 lbs into fibrous casings. Smoked em over charcoal and hickory for 6 hrs and let them bloom after cooling. I wish I'd have started doing this in my 20's. What fun. My 6 year old loves helping with the stuffer. Anyone have a summer sausage recipe they like enough to share? I'm always looking to try new recipes.
View media item 68714View media item 68715View media item 68716

Nice work. That's a pretty nifty stuffer you made there.
Thank you. I could not see spending the cash on the Dakota water stuffer after seeing how easy it looked to build. I built one for me and one for a buddy at the same time. Going to put the small horn on it next week and try snack sticks.

Any chance of getting some info on building the water stuffer? Looks like a great idea.
Sure. I used a 30" piece of 4" pvc and glued an endcap on one end. I then glued a threaded cap on the other. I drilled a hole in the threaded plug big enough for my desired sausage horn size, 1-3/4" and glued that in. I then took a 3" glue cap and cut 2 grooves for o-rings in it. I used a lathe, but can be done other ways. That pa rt makes the piston. For water I drilled and tapped the glue cap for a standard hose bib and then adapted to garden hose threads. Off of that I use a hose splitter to supply and exhaust h2o. If you youtube, water stuffer I've got a video,as do many others.

Back