First submission to a beer contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldy246

Reaction score
My LHBS is having an IPA contest at the end of March and I want to try my hand at this. I have an all citra brew in the fermentor getting happy. I will be dry hopping with Citra and maybe some Equinox.

My question. I want to add some kind of adjuncts to set my beer apart and to add some creative flair. I was thinking some kind of herb such a Rosemary, chamomile, lavender, etc. or maybe some lemon, limes, grapefruit. Not sure. I have never done anything like that and was hoping to get some suggestions from the pros.

Thanks in advance!

Nothing? Was this a stupid question? I tried googling and came up empty.

I may just desperate into a few one gallon batches and experiment.

I'm not a pro, but if it is a straight up, BJCP style guideline IPA-only competition, then yes, adding fruit, spices or herbs is likely to be a bad idea. It will no doubt set your beer apart, but judges will almost certainly pick up on those flavors and probably say it's out of style. If you're looking for something different for your own personal consumption, then go for it.

I would do just as you suggested yourself; divide it up into some 1 gallon containers and experiment. Mango, grapefruit, orange, just some suggestions and things I've hard that work for others.

It is not BJCP. I'm not going to win. I don't care. I just wanted to do something out of the box and have some fun and maybe spark some conversation about my beer.

I would have never thought of ginger.

Thanks guys!

Both the beers I have entered into competition that had "a little something extra" were not well recieved. I entered a jamaicain jerk flavoured amber ale which garnered a poor score because i did not specify that it was a spice beer and the spicy notes were seen as extreme cloying off flavours. The other a ginger ale just scored poorly despite being pretty good in my opinion. I stick to traditional styles now for beers i plan to enter in competition.

Who doesn't love a good lavender / lime / rosemary / chamomile / ginger IPA.

For fruit, citrus or floral IPA notes - I use hops.

So in what sense is it an IPA contest?

They said as long as it can be considered an ipa they are not really strict on BJCP guidelines. Just for fun. I'm just looking forward to having people try my beer and getting some feedback from people that have been doing this longer than me. I never really have anyone other than the wife try my beers and she usually just does it because I ask her to, not because she likes them. Anyone else that has just really isn't into beer.

I'm looking forward to it. The beer stands well on its own. I will definitely have bottles of it alone on standby if the other ones are lousy!

They said as long as it can be considered an ipa they are not really strict on BJCP guidelines. Just for fun. I'm just looking forward to having people try my beer and getting some feedback from people that have been doing this longer than me. I never really have anyone other than the wife try my beers and she usually just does it because I ask her to, not because she likes them. Anyone else that has just really isn't into beer.

I'm looking forward to it. The beer stands well on its own. I will definitely have bottles of it alone on standby if the other ones are lousy!

Good luck!

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Fruit-Beers-The-Jamil-Show-04-24-06

That may help you a little too.

Latest posts

Back