First sous vide steak...Need help ASAP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Running late on time to start so any help would be great...quickly:D
Waiting on response before adding steak to my already 130 deg water

Do I vacuum seal the bag or leave the top open and out of the water?
Anything else I should know?
I used salt and pepper and was thinking some garlic powder?
Olive oil in the bag while cooking?

Thanks...

I used the recommended link, and results were amazing.

Y "sous-vided" it with a zip-lock bag and a straw, but it was enough. No oil required, just salt and pepper.

Good luck!

Use the water displacement method to "vacuum seal" if you're just using ziplock bags. Very easy.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iULF9JCR3zg[/ame]

If you're using a food saver, of course, just seal as normal.

Thanks for the quick responses and the link. I sealed it with salt and pepper and a tad of dry Italian seasoning set to 130 in a crock pot with my Inkbird

The recipe I was looking at calls for 2 hours for a 2" steak. The link ,read rapidly to get started, says one hour.

Theres no way to test it so how do I know when its done??

If your circulating 1 hour is all you'll need. If it's in still water let it set a bit longer. With sous vide it's just like a mash. Time and temp. They sell really thin temp probes and water proof closed cell foam tape but you really don't need it. Just follow time and temp recommendations and you'll be fine.

If your circulating 1 hour is all you'll need. If it's in still water let it set a bit longer. With sous vide it's just like a mash. Time and temp. They sell really thin temp probes and water proof closed cell foam tape but you really don't need it. Just follow time and temp recommendations and you'll be fine.
Its just sitting in water in a crock pot at 130 its been in for 1:20. I'm going to try the charcoal chimney way to sear it so if I start the charcoal now it will be 1 1/2 hours.....sound good?

SUCCESS!!!
The wife says this is how we need to cook all steaks from now on....winner

20170417_202141_resized.jpg

Back