Sous Vide with the Brew System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggz1313

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Firstly I hope it's ok to post this here. It isn't exactly electric brewing related, but I think it's close enough. If not, I will have no hard feelings if it's moved/removed by the mods. That being said, just wanted to post an experience I had over Christmas with my 15g Spike Solo+ system.

I can't remember if I read it in this forum or the homebrewing subreddit, but there was a post many months ago about using brew kettle for sous vide. I immediately channeled my inner Alton Brown and was ecstatic that my "Unitasker" of a brew kettle now has a second use!

Christmas dinner discussions were taking place a week or so ago and it was decided that the family wanted to do steaks for dinner this year. So after a trip to Costco, 7 big ol' Ribeyes were purchased and prepped.
PXL_20211223_221654641.jpg
PXL_20211223_221716885.jpg

After about 40hours in the fridge to lose a bit of the extra moisture, I vacuum sealed them individually with a bit of fresh rosemary:
PXL_20211224_154231670.jpg

From there it was time for a 2.5 hour bath in the brew kettle with PID set at 130F degrees:
PXL_20211224_162825695.MP.jpg

With the pump on about 50% recirculating the entire time, these steaks came out of the water bath looking fantastic.

Unfortunately trying to get dinner together for 7 people and have everything served hot at the same time, I failed to get any pre-grill searing pictures or any post sear pictures. I've reached out to family because I know they have pictures and if/when I get those I'll post them as well.
Snapchat-2064238514.jpg

All in all this was a super easy experience and it went off without a hitch. SUPER delicious steaks that were perfectly cooked. So for all you meat eaters out there with an electric brew system, just remember you can use it for more than just beer!!

Grill..... Or heck, 3 pound prime rib out of the oven.... Our little local meat shop has the best rub I've found.... pepper, brown sugar, salt and other herbs I can't easily decoder.

Great idea! I can't get anybody to pay what my Rims wizard is worth so it's my go-to for huge batches of sous vide tri tip fiestas!

If you look a couple of pages back in the brewzilla thread you will see my post about doing the same with some pork ribs. Also did a nice ribeye a week or two later, really happy with the results of both.

Latest posts

Back