First Sour attempt: Wyeast 3203 PC de BOM Recipe suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdotc87

[StinkFist]
Reaction score
So I managed to get my hands on a pack of Wyeast-3203 PC de Bom Sour Blend. I'm planning to do my first sour with this yeast as it claims to produce a beer ready to drink in about 2 months. :ban: I started brewing earlier this year and have done 10 extract batches to date, so I am still very much a noob to the homebrew world.

So far all I have is the yeast. I was hoping some of you brew wizards could recommend a recipe to brew. The recipe would need to be extract/steeping grains as I do not currently have the equipment to brew all grain. (hopefully Santa ((SWMBO)) comes through with that this year) I'm pretty much open to anything. Flanders Red, Oud Bruin, simple sour recipes. I would love to hear what y'all think!

On a second note, I would like to save this yeast and use for future batches since I hope to brew many sours going forward. I've seen some youtube videos on the process using mason jars and boiling water/cooling it to harvest the yeast from the used cake. I thought about making a 2L starter with the smack pack and then splitting it into two jars; save a jar in the fridge and pitch a jar into this beer. Is this possible/efficient? Would a starter with this blend be the same process as any other starter? Any suggestions on this would be MUCH appreciated!

If this post is in wrong section, please forgive me.

I'd imagine you could do almost anything. Try NB's Oud Bruin extract kit. Or, try a simple sweet stout. Keep the ibus very low. Be careful saving this "yeast" since it's got a specific ratio of yeast to bugs and after one batch that ratio will be different. Don't use a starter.

definitely dont do a starter. im only 2 months in my first attempt with the de bom, but i find it kinda boring compared to other sours. its sour, but thats about it. i'd prolly go with a flanders red to give it some more character. the grain side isn't all that important, just go with some pale extract and 1-2 lbs of crystal, like 1.05ish OG and <10 IBUs. I would just re-use the cake for future sours, but if you want to save some, i'd just pour some into a sanitized jar, i dont wash my sour cakes.

No starter

Simple malt bill. Light extract on it's own is OK.

For a Flanders, maybe use 1 lb Special B.

Keep hops to below 10 IBUs.

Leave on cake. Add dregs from any sour beers you drink at anytime.

When you are ready to reuse cake (could be months, or a year). Rack beer off cake and put fresh beer on old cake. Add fresh sacc yeast to the cake/new beer a couple of days after starting new batch if little activity is seen. This is good, if there is little sacc left in the cake, the bugs will get a chance to get started before any alcohol is present, which slows it down.

Back