First Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunchtime

Reaction score
Just brewed my first Saison, I hope all goes well. I've heard a lot of talk about fermentation getting stuck with the Wyeast #3711...Might be tough keeping the temp. up high enough but I'll give it my best shot lol

I have used WLP565 with really good results (I guess this info is a bit late). I love making saisons and am waiting for one of my recipes to come out as good as Saison Dupont. Have you used a brewbelt ever? It keeps the temp about 10F higher (maybe a little bit more if you pitch a little hot too) than the ambient temp.

The 3711 should not be hard to attenuate. The 565 is the one that is difficult. 3711 french should do a great job for you whether or not you warm it.

My first Saison was with 3711 - have used it several times since, too and never had any issues with stuck fermentation. I love this yeast, because I can just leave the fermenter at room temp in the low to mid seventies and it works great.

Plus it's fun to play with the Saison style - I found an old edition of Zymurgy that has a great article on Saison. I brewed up an Autumn Saison recipe from the mag and added sweet potato, pumpkin and butternut squash. Turned out awesome. I held back a gallon and let it rest on some bourbon soaked oak cubes for a few months. That turned out great too! Love me some Saison with 3711

Just brewed my first Saison, I hope all goes well. I've heard a lot of talk about fermentation getting stuck with the Wyeast #3711...Might be tough keeping the temp. up high enough but I'll give it my best shot lol

Just the opposite. 3711 is a beast and will ferment the spoon if you stir it too long,.... If you can keep it at least 68 degrees it will finish. If you can get the temp up higher you may get a couple of extra points out of it.

I am also fermenting my 1st French saison. Mine is a SMaSH, I used the brand new Aramis french hops, pilsen malt and the 3711. I am giddy with excitement.

Cheers! :mug:

Well this is all good news. I've got it sitting at about 79 right now, so I assume that should be good enough.

Ha!! I just started my first saison a week ago and didn't ramp it up soon enough. I used
Belgian saison and it pooped out at 1.030. Check this from wyeast website:

"This strain is notorious for a rapid and vigorous start to fermentation, only to stick around 1.035 S.G. "

I am keeping a blow dryer on it intermittently and warming it up and up so we will see how it well it dries out.

Ha!! I just started my first saison a week ago and didn't ramp it up soon enough. I used
Belgian saison and it pooped out at 1.030. Check this from wyeast website:

"This strain is notorious for a rapid and vigorous start to fermentation, only to stick around 1.035 S.G. "

I am keeping a blow dryer on it intermittently and warming it up and up so we will see how it well it dries out.

I have had the same thing happen to me every time I use this yeast. Even at ambient temps in the 80s, this thing quits like clockwork around 1.035. It start back up again after some wait, and after it's dried everything out and you taste it, you know the whole ordeal was worth it.

Just the opposite. 3711 is a beast and will ferment the spoon if you stir it too long,.... If you can keep it at least 68 degrees it will finish. If you can get the temp up higher you may get a couple of extra points out of it.

ROFL! This was my experience with 3711, too.

3711 is great for ciders too. Its the only yeast I use for cider anymore. You want fermentation as hot as possible. I did ten gallons of saison last summer, split between temp control and no control. The hot one (low 90's) was superior, more spicy saison flavor. The temp control (67) coulda passed for a blonde.

3711 is great for ciders too. Its the only yeast I use for cider anymore. You want fermentation as hot as possible. I did ten gallons of saison last summer, split between temp control and no control. The hot one (low 90's) was superior, more spicy saison flavor. The temp control (67) coulda passed for a blonde.

That's really interesting. I did a Rye Saison with 3711 and started it at 70, then ramped to like 78 for the last 2 weeks and I think I created some off flavors. I think you have a really good idea of doing a side-by-side with the yeast. I'll definitely have to do that and see which way I like better...

3711 is the ticket if you live in a warmer climate and don't have much for temp control. I've used it 25+ times and never had it stall out. I've even added it to an imperial saison on dupont strain at 11% (that was crapped out) and watched it still chew on through. It brings out the fruit in your hops and gives a little twang. Dries the hell out of everything. Silky mouthfeel. Drinkable out of the bottling bucket. Split any IPA or pale you do on the planned yeast and 3711 just to have a good time.

I don't love it with wheat though. On half wheat/half pilsner malt I much prefer Dupont.

Back