First Recipe - n00b sp1te IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbadarchi

Reaction score
Wanted to get some thoughts on this recipe. Just trying a stab at formulating a simple IIPA. Thanks.

Sorry for the wierd weights... I scaled up from my 3.5 Gal version so you wouldn't have to scale in your head. :D

Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 8.59.36 AM.png

I would add in 5-10% cane sugar. This is essential in IIPAs to keep it lean and drinkable in my opinion. It also help the hops stand out more. I dont enjoy any crystal in IPAs, esp IIPAs, but to each his own.

Thats a good amount of hops, are you planning on doing a hopstand? I would suggest shifting it a bit more towards 0min and leaving all the hops in there to steep once the flame is out before chilling. Massive hop flavor and aroma get pulled out

I would add in 5-10% cane sugar. This is essential in IIPAs to keep it lean and drinkable in my opinion. It also help the hops stand out more. I dont enjoy any crystal in IPAs, esp IIPAs, but to each his own.

Thats a good amount of hops, are you planning on doing a hopstand? I would suggest shifting it a bit more towards 0min and leaving all the hops in there to steep once the flame is out before chilling. Massive hop flavor and aroma get pulled out

I was planning on doing the flameout hops as a hopstand @ 180 for 30 mins. Do you think I should move the 30 15 and 10 min additions to hopstand? From reading I've assumed that piney flavors (what I'm going for) doesn't benefit too much from hopstands which is why I was thinking both traditional minute additions alongside hopstand. What do you think?

I would at least move the 30min addition to the hopstand since you wont get much flavor from it at all anyway. YOu can bump the 60min addition to an even ounce if you are concerned about having enough bitterness but i think youll be fine.

Ive found the flavor profile of the hop doesnt have much to do with how effective hopstands are. I focus on piney/dank/resinous hops in my black IPAs and I use most of my hops in the hopstand for that purpose. I usually do a bit at 10 or 15 min as well, but I would definitely concentrate on the flameout additions

Just a few ideas for the grain bill...
I like some Cara-Pils, Wheat and Honey Malt in my DIPA's. I never use any sugar to boost the alcohol.

Thats the last one I brewed and I'm very happy with the outcome.
The head is really nice and wont die on you.

13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 83.4 %
13.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) 5.2 %
9.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) 3.6 %
6.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM) 2.7 %
6.8 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 2.7 %
5.7 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM 2.3%

GLcuuXg.jpg

Just a few ideas for the grain bill...

I like some Cara-Pils, Wheat and Honey Malt in my DIPA's. I never use any sugar to boost the alcohol.

Thats the last one I brewed and I'm very happy with the outcome.

The head is really nice and wont die on you.

GLcuuXg.jpg

I'm going for simplicity. I also want to make sure I feel I really understand ingredients before I add them so I know why I am using them. I'm open to adding some carapils but haven't seen them in IPA recipes much? I will probably add some organic cane sugar and adjust it back down to just above 1.070.

I love Sierra Nevada's IPA's which is why I added the Chrystal 40. I'm not necessarily shooting for a dry north west IPA. Slightly sweet and spicy malt but lean and juicy. Not thick like stone. If that makes sense.

I added in 5% or so corn sugar. I left it a couple points higher (why not?).

I also moved the 30 minute addition to hopstand, however brewpal doesn't know how to figure out the Ibus from that. It's putting me at 42 IBUs. Can anybody look at this and see what I would be really looking at IBU wise? I want to make sure I hit a good count.

At a OG of 1.073 should I be looking for more than 70 IBUs?

Also it says 14 days then 7 dry hop but I'll probably do 7 days primary then 7 days dryhop in primary.

Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 12.00.48 PM.png

no brewing software I know of is capable of really characterizing bitterness from hopstand additions. I read a snippet of a recent BYO atricle on hopstands which said the utilization is about 10%. You may be able to use that to figure out how much IBUs you get for each oz but I wouldnt sweat it. I just cram them in at the end and the result is never bitter, even in the amount youve got, youll be fine

Ok. While I am not wanting overstated bitterness I do want a good bite at the end of it. I guess I can just brew and see how it turns out and adjust for next time.

I would like to make this a project recipe and see where it wants to go. I'll probably brew this next week sometime.

So here's a run down of what I think will be my final recipe. I will share the 3.5 gallon recipe so it the numbers will be cleaner.

n00b sp1te IIPA:

Mash @ 150 for 60 min

8.25 lb Marris Otter (91%)
5 oz Chrystal 40 (3.4%)
8 oz Corn Sugar (5.5%)

.5 oz Chinook 13% (leaf) @ 60 min
.5 oz Chinook 13% (leaf) @ 15 min
1 oz Centennial 10% (pellet) @10 min *I'll either use 1 oz pack of pellets or 2oz leaf so I don't have left overs

3 oz Chinook 13% (leaf) @ 0 min
2 oz Centennial 10% (leaf) @ 180f (held at 180f for 30 mins)

After hopstand is over I will immersion chill to pitching temp.

Ferment @ 63 up to 67 over 4 days till 10 days

2 oz Chinook 13% (leaf) 7 days
2 oz Centennial 10% (leaf) 7 days

Targets are 1.073 OG, 1.014 FG, 70 ibus.

will a single packet of US-05 be good for this?
I also do not have o2 so will have to shake the crap out of it.

So far as far as i know the leaf hops at my LHBS are from 2013. Is this acceptable or will it yield less than stellar results?

:mug:

if they were vacuum sealed pellet hops I think youd be OK, btu leaf hops degrade much faster than pellets. I would only use those in a lambic or something. See if theyll give them to you at a discount

Plus, old hops would eb the worst thing to use for a hopstand. You want the freshesty flavor and aroma to come through and old stale hops arent going to do the trick. The first thing to go is the aroma, then flavor. They still have some bittering power, but not as much as when they were fresh. See if you can get something else, even suibbing for a different hop

Rest of the recipe looks solid though

+1 moops they akways have great prices there. As fare as therl hop stand. You will get about 30 to 50% of the standard 30% u get in the boil out of the hops from the long stand. Ill see if i can find the conversation. It changes all the ibus. Id say ur closer to 90 if u do a 30 min hopstand.

+1 moops they akways have great prices there. As fare as therl hop stand. You will get about 20 to 30% eff out of the hops from the long stand. Ill see if i can find the conversation. It changes all the ibus. Id say ur closer to 80 if u do a 30 min hopstand.

If I'm gonna get 80 ibu from that I'll move my 60 min addition to 30 mins. I imagine 80 ibus might be a little much for 7.8%, but then again maybe not.

Not to change the subject but for these are you guys finding pellet hops tasting fresher? I was gonna go with leaf hops cause I find they are easier but taste is more valuable IMO

Just bought 1lb each of the 2015 harvest of chinook and cascade from hopsdirect. Cascade was $10 less than centennial so it won... I'll probably use that instead.

If I'm gonna get 80 ibu from that I'll move my 60 min addition to 30 mins. I imagine 80 ibus might be a little much for 7.8%, but then again maybe not.

80 IBU from a hopstand is a little silly in my opinion. If you like your IPAs on the more west-coast bitter end then use a high AA hop and get your IBUs from 60min addition solely. Treat the whirlpool as flavor/aroma only. You won't be disappointed.

80 IBU from a hopstand is a little silly in my opinion. If you like your IPAs on the more west-coast bitter end then use a high AA hop and get your IBUs from 60min addition solely. Treat the whirlpool as flavor/aroma only. You won't be disappointed.
It dose increase bitterness tho but if u cant handel 90+ maby double ipa isnt the beer you looking to make

It dose increase bitterness tho but if u cant handel 90+ maby double ipa isnt the beer you looking to make

Maybe I wasnt clear. Expecting 80 IBU out of a hopstand seems silly to me, not an 80 IBU IIPA. I know you get some bitterness out of them, but I've never had a big bold west-coast IPA bitterness-wise out of hopstands. Just awesome flavor and aroma.

I never said anything about not handling tons of ibus... I'm just trying to come up with clear goals and in doing so grow in the craft.

That and it seems like the 100+ ibu beers are up in the 1.080+ range. That being said I do want a pronounced bitterness so I will just leave the 60 minute addition as is and see what happens

I wasn't meaning adding 80 ibus that it would bump it to that. The longer time at high heat will cause all the hops to isomerize the alpha acids more than of u go straight to chill. I should have been more clear.

Bought the grains for this. Just waiting for the hops to come in the mail, so I'll probably brew tomorrow. I'm stoked to be using fresh 2015 leaf hops on this!

I decided to bump the bittering charge to 1.25 oz which puts the numbers at 77 ibu then whatever I end up getting from the hopstand I'm sure will be fine.

I'm gonna do the chinook aroma hops at flameout and save the cascade for 180* for 30 mins. I figure that will give me strong pine flavor with good grapefruit aroma.

I'll keep updating as I brew.

I just made a huge screw up! My strike temp was 157 and the Celsius on that is 69... I mashed in when the Celsius was at 57... I pulled the bag out and stuck it in my cooler and am heating the water up. Hopefully I didn't screw up too bad...

I screwed up my mash temp, my hydrometer was off by 4 points out of nowhere... And my e-kettle crapped out (bad iec) with 20 minutes left in the boil. I threw in my whirlpool hops and steeped for 30 mins.

A nightmare of a brew day but I may still have a good IPA out of it. We shall see!

I shall call it Smurph tears IPA

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449111465.790795.jpg

So it's turning out quite nicely for a screw up beer! Clocks in around 7% it's still young and needs another week in the bottle however carbonation is great and hop flavor and aroma are very present. It needs more bitterness but that's because my element crapped out with 20 minutes left in the boil which made for a 40 minute bittering addition.

I think it could have benefitted from some wheat as the body is a little thin, but I haven't decided if I like it that way or not. I used about 10-12% corn sugar. I also think next time I will use half 2-row half MO instead of just Mo as i wish it was a touch sweeter

Latest posts

Back