first PM, just had to tell somebody

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jax

Reaction score
Hi all,
Let me start out by saying i wish i was rich so i wouldnt have to work and could brew more. I am 38 minutes into the mash rest of my first partial mash kit (NB Midnight Beatdown Wheaten Porter). I have about 10 extract kits under my belt and after extensive study, watching videos and reading 100's of posts on Homebrew Talk, i finally took the step up to partial mash and am excited beyond belief to taste the results. I have no questions, so far; everything i was concerned about has been answered from reading the posts here. My mash tmp is holding within 1 deg of the required 154 and everything is looking good, thanks to all for all the excellent information.

Cheers!!

your obsession will only get worse. soon you'll be doing all grain and driving yourself nuts over the perfect crush for your grain like me

Congratulations on stepping up to the partial mash. It sounds like you understand what you are doing and why you do it that way.

Now that you have the partial mash figured out, want to go a bit farther with this? What is the purpose for the partial mash? To be able to control the types of grain that go into your beer since the extract's mix of grains is under the control of the manufacturer. Want even more control? You are this || close to going to all grain and having complete control over the mix of grains and have so many more choices for your recipes. Do a search on this forum for BIAB and you will see that the only difference from partial mash is the quantities of grains and the size of the container for those grains during the mash. I started by doing a 2 1/2 gallon batch using the 20 qt pot that I had used for extract batches and found it so easy that I got a turkey fryer so I could do 5 gallon full volume boils but today it is cold out so I'm going to do a 2 1/2 gallon batch again right in my kitchen, heating on the kitchen stove and chilling it in the sink. You could be doing that too.:mug:

Congratulations on stepping up to the partial mash. It sounds like you understand what you are doing and why you do it that way.

Now that you have the partial mash figured out, want to go a bit farther with this? What is the purpose for the partial mash? To be able to control the types of grain that go into your beer since the extract's mix of grains is under the control of the manufacturer. Want even more control? You are this || close to going to all grain and having complete control over the mix of grains and have so many more choices for your recipes. Do a search on this forum for BIAB and you will see that the only difference from partial mash is the quantities of grains and the size of the container for those grains during the mash. I started by doing a 2 1/2 gallon batch using the 20 qt pot that I had used for extract batches and found it so easy that I got a turkey fryer so I could do 5 gallon full volume boils but today it is cold out so I'm going to do a 2 1/2 gallon batch again right in my kitchen, heating on the kitchen stove and chilling it in the sink. You could be doing that too.:mug:

+1.

But, if you're like me and don't want to brew outside, you can always get a 30-quart turkey fryer pot for ~$30 and do all grain BIAB that way, too. I use a 20-quart pot for the mash, then pull the bag out and put the grains into the bigger pot, which has the sparge water. Let it sit there for 10 minutes, then pull the grains out, dump the contents of the first pot into the bigger one, and I've got 6 1/2 gallons of wort on my stovetop, ready for the boil!

Of course, it helps to have a good stove. But the point is, there are options -- and you can do full volume BIAB in your kitchen, provided your burner is strong enough.

Congrats on the move to partial mashing. I did partial mashes for a year or so and thought it helped with my brew quality. I've since moved up to all-grain (modified a bit to fit my process - 4ish gallon batches, split boil on an indoor electric stove). Now that you've made the jump to partial mashing, if you can figure out a way to move into all grain, you'll be even happier. Cheers!

Thanks my fellow brewers. I have a turkery fryer burner (and pot, but its alum, kinda scared to use it) and a 5 gal SS pot, i did my mash on the stove in my kettle then moved outside to do the boil. Im in NC so it isnt too cold outside here and i tried the stovetop method one time, just took too long for me ( i usually boil just under 4 gallons, got to get a bigger kettle). I have looked at the BIAB process from DeathBrewer and i like it and will probably try it in the near future. Thanks again for the replies and the info.

Cheers!!

Congrats Jax. Good when it all comes together without a hitch.

Yep. Sometimes makes you wonder when things go really smooth. It didnt go this smoothly on my last extract batch. I guess all the reading and studying paid off.

Thanks my fellow brewers. I have a turkery fryer burner (and pot, but its alum, kinda scared to use it) and a 5 gal SS pot, i did my mash on the stove in my kettle then moved outside to do the boil. Im in NC so it isnt too cold outside here and i tried the stovetop method one time, just took too long for me ( i usually boil just under 4 gallons, got to get a bigger kettle). I have looked at the BIAB process from DeathBrewer and i like it and will probably try it in the near future. Thanks again for the replies and the info.

Cheers!!

You could send that aluminum pot to me. I'm not afraid to use it. :D

The aluminum pots are fine, just boil water in it first to build a good oxide layer and you're good to go. I've been using mine for about a year now and it still looks like it did when I boiled the first water in it. All I do when I'm done with the mash and boil is wipe it down with a soft sponge/scrubbie (3M brand) and put it away for next time.

You could send that aluminum pot to me. I'm not afraid to use it. :D

The aluminum pots are fine, just boil water in it first to build a good oxide layer and you're good to go. I've been using mine for about a year now and it still looks like it did when I boiled the first water in it. All I do when I'm done with the mash and boil is wipe it down with a soft sponge/scrubbie (3M brand) and put it away for next time.

That's good to know, i had always heard not to use aluminum for the boil, something about leaching nasties, so i didnt delve into it any further. With this new information, i now have 2 5 gallon brew kettles....hmmmm.....also have 2 primaries....looks like next time will be a 2 batch brew day. Thanks again for the info.

That's good to know, i had always heard not to use aluminum for the boil, something about leaching nasties, so i didnt delve into it any further. With this new information, i now have 2 5 gallon brew kettles....hmmmm.....also have 2 primaries....looks like next time will be a 2 batch brew day. Thanks again for the info.

Aluminum is indeed fine. Once you get the passive oxide layer you're good to go.

Latest posts

Back