First Pislner Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rounder999

Reaction score
I wanted my first Lager Yeast experiment to be simple so I am using a Coopers Brewmaster Pilsner with the supplied Coopers Lager Yeast. I added 3# of AHS Xpale LME and 1/2# dextrose and pitched it Yesterday. OG is 1050. My Fermometer is steady at 62F. There is no action in the Airlock as yet.

What can I expect from this? All the Ales I have brewed so far started within hours albeit at slightly higher temps. Will I have a longer fermentation, longer than 10 days or so? And since Lager yeast is bottom fermenting will I have a Krausen Ring?

I actually just bottled some of this a little bit ago. I kept my temperatures down around the recommended range (as per the instructions on the kit) mine never got hotter than 70 and never colder than 62. Fermentation was about the average time, I kept mine in carboys for about a month or so, just to let it age and mellow out, it'll produce quite a skunky smell when it's fermenting but that's just due to the lager yeast. It'll settle out over time. I didn't have a krausen ring on mine, not a big head of foam on the top of the brew either like an Ale. It's a good beer when it's done. Good luck|!

Back