First pilsner help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCBrewer

Reaction score
I finally purchased a temp controller so I could dive into the world of pilsner brewing, which I did last weekend. I pitched WLP800 Pilsner yeast. After a day, there was a one inch lily white krausen. After two days, the krausen had blotches of salmon color in it. Pic is below. The blotches look yellowish in the pic but they definitely are more pink/salmon color. Does this mean it's infected? Appreciate the help. thanks

001.jpg

Not to steal your thunder DCBrewer, but I too just started my first Pilsner and it is still fermenting 20 days after I pitched the yeast. I want to say it was the temp I had my kegerator set at, as I am fermenting in there. The temp strip outside the carboy was reading 44-46 and there wasnt really much action, now that i finally raised the temp the highest it can go, 46-50 per the temp strip, it is getting some action and getting a nice thick head of krausen but nothing like yours. Yours looks very bubbly and soapy, if you will. Mine looks like thick cake of muddy krausen! I want to rack it onto mangos, but it still looks like it's doing it's thing.

All of my lager fermentations get that brown/salmon krausen on them after a few days, looks normal to me. It'll get darker after a few more days, darker brown. It'll finally drop. I've read that the brown krausen can add some harshness/bitterness if you let it drop (I think it was Kaiser that said this, maybe Noonan), but apparently it dissapates if you lager long enough (I always let mine drop through).
Long story short, looks good to me.

Excellent, thanks folks!

Chris7687 -- per Mr. Malty, I used two vials of yeast with a 1.5 liter starter. Pitched at 45F and let temp raise to 50F per Brewing Classic Styles instructions if that helps.

Back